Optimal home insurance?

1 Reply

What should I ask for and what should I make sure is covered within my insurance policy? I live in CA so don't have any snow/freezing temp issues. First time I have to go through these different processes.

Hi Tyler,

There are multiple factors to consider when insuring your home. Firstly, you'll want to go with a company that's rated highly and has enough $$$ to pay out claims in the instance of  a major catastrophe. If this is going to be your primary residence, I would probably start out with getting a quote from whoever provides your auto insurance. The bundling of the policies usually leads to a large discount on both lines of insurance. I tend to like more comprehensive policies, typically written as an ho-5, that the only non-covered perils are the exclusions that are specifically listed.

You'll also want to take the size of the deductible into consideration. Most people want the lowest deductible they can get, but you need to consider the likelihood of actually submitting a claim and how much you would be comfortable spending in the event of a claim. I know quite a few people that carry $5k deductibles and up simply because they would never submit a claim for less than $5k, and it makes their premiums less. 

Sorry about the post kind of being all over the place, but if you have more specific questions feel free to ask.