• Investor
  • Davis Junction, IL
Votes |
Worker's Comp. "if any policy"

James Feiden
  • Investor
  • Davis Junction, IL
Posted Jul 16 2016, 13:04
Hello Everybody, I would like to get some feedback from other landlords and how they handle Worker's Comp. with subs to mitigate risk. Let me explain my situation. I sub-out all contractor related work, lawn care, painting, roofing etc - I have zero employees. All subcontractors provide me with a certificate of liability. Because most are owner operated they only have general liability coverage. Not workers comp. Because they don't have Worker's Comp. my "if any" policy covers them. After a recent audit I learned I am responsible to pay for their workers comp. What is the likelihood of getting sued and the subcontractor winning without workers comp? If I have an agreement with the subcontractor clearly defining their responsibility to cover Worker's Comp. will that take me off the hook? Am I getting too carried away with insurance? If I lost in a lawsuit could they get your personal items or just what's in the LLC? Of course the insurance guys are going to advise this extra coverage. But I really don't think a lot of landlords have this because 8 out of 10 subcontractors I work with don't have Worker's Comp. Does anyone else have the same concerns that I do? Thank you for your response!

Loading replies...