Skip to content
Insurance

User Stats

Votes
Ericka G.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
Property Keeps Getting Dropped by Insurance - Is it a Lemon?

Ericka G.
  • Investor
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Aug 16 2017, 09:29

One property in my portfolio is about to be dropped from insurance for the 2nd time in about 3 months - with no chance given for appeal or remedy.   First from Travelers/GEICO and now from US Standard Insurance Company.  Has anyone else dealt with this? 

I purchased the property for $56k in April.  It is in good shape, rented to pilots, but is in a marginal area (East Point) on a good block - one block from MARTA and 1-2 blocks from Tyler Perry's new studio.  The first time, Traveler's sent an inspector who submitted a list of  ridiculousness such as claiming I was living in the property though it is on a landlord policy (this is ridiculous b/c they insure my primary residence).  They sent me a notice of cancellation and I found new coverage through US Standard Insurance at the recommendation of my realtor.

Fast forward a couple of months and I get a letter saying USI is terminating my policy in September due to "unauthorized" siding material...but the house has standard vinyl siding??  Are they seeing a risk with my property that I'm missing? 

I'm now debating finding yet another insurance provider or self-insuring since we have the reserves to do that.  I will probably just find another insurer but am really annoyed with this process and wonder if I have any recourse if a company drops me for what appears to be unfair reasons?  

Any input, advice, or recos on landlord friendly insurers in GA would be greatly appreciated.

Loading replies...