Votes |
Best Insurance for Rentals - some in LLC, nome not

Eric Chappell
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Mar 9 2019, 07:58

Hello,

I currently own a few rentals free and clear in my LLC and have a few under my name due to better mortgage rates/terms.

I currently use NREIG for insurance on the properties 1.in renovation, 2. out of renovation, but unoccupied, and 3. occupied.

As I acquire more properties, especially since they aren't in the LLC, I am worried about having adequate coverage and protection.

I have seen some posts for commercial umbrella coverage with some insurers. Would this apply if the homes are split as both being owned by the LLC and then others by my name? Obviously they are all business assets, but I don't know if the insurance companies would cover all the properties the same way based on the ownership name difference.

There was also a mention of a personal umbrella that allowed LLC owned properties on it, but no company.

If there is anyone else who has done this, could you please recommend an insurance company to contact?

Looking at other forum posts, these are the mentioned insurance companies I was hoping to get feedback on and any others you can recommend that I look into:

Metlife
SWBC
Hastings

Thanks so much.

Loading replies...