Vehicle Accident Insurance Claim

4 Replies

A SFH that I rent out was damaged by a vehicular accident. The driver lost control and drove through the front door of the house. Fortunately nobody was hurt and the driver is insured.

The tenant is still able to live in the house although the front door is boarded up, they have access through two other entrances.

My question is

1. Can I request a partial loss of use from the insurance company to credit the inconvenience to the tenant?

2. Can I bill my time for setting up contractors for the repair as I self manage this property?

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by @John Schwab :

A SFH that I rent out was damaged by a vehicular accident. The driver lost control and drove through the front door of the house. Fortunately nobody was hurt and the driver is insured.

The tenant is still able to live in the house although the front door is boarded up, they have access through two other entrances.

My question is

1. Can I request a partial loss of use from the insurance company to credit the inconvenience to the tenant?

2. Can I bill my time for setting up contractors for the repair as I self manage this property?

Any insights are greatly appreciated.

John, sorry to hear about the accident.  It's more common than you would think.

Unfortunately, the answer is no to both if you run through your own insurance.

If you run the claim through the auto insurance, there will be more flexibility with billing them for the management of the claim, but in the end they may say no.  If you used a 3rd party to manage it, there would be a better chance of them paying them.

Best of luck,

That sounds like a bad day but like you said, thankfully no one was hurt. 

Are you filing through your homeowners insurance or through the drivers auto insurance? 

Has an insurance adjuster come out to look at the property yet? 

If I were you I would Wait and see what the adjuster estimates the damages at. If it’s high you may end up getting paid out a little bit once the jobs complete,  if it’s really low then you may want to seek the advice of an attorney that specializes in insurance claims.  The insurance company has the responsibility to make you whole, nothing more, but nothing less. 

Tenant inconvenience will be a tough one to argue since the property is still livable but if you needed to spring for temporary housing then it should get picked up by the insurance. If you’re concerned about time spent  meeting contractors then hire someone to manage the job for you and hang onto the receipts. Most companies will re-imburse your out of pocket expenses but not pay you for your time. 

I hope this helps. Goodluck! 

You notify your insurance company , they go after the car insurance company.  Real expenses for loss of use you can ask the insurance company for.  For example , If you need to discount rent by 20%. It depends on what you have in the policy but that is real cost to you. Your insurance will go after the car insurance for whatever you claim. For example when our personal home was hit we successfully got replacement skis which were damaged and a jeep hardtop on top of the room they took off the house. We had to argue for the replacement value of those but they were real costs to us that the insurance at first didn't want to increase their amount to include reasonable reimbursement. Your time for estimates is a definite no.  They will only do cost.

I have filed the claim through my home owners insurance thinking that maybe it would be easier but it seems it’s going to be the same amount of time and phone calls either way. Hopefully the adjuster’s estimate comes in high!!