Samantha Smith
  • Fort Polk, LA
Votes |
Insurance Inspection Gone Wrong

Samantha Smith
  • Fort Polk, LA
Posted Oct 8 2019, 07:47

Hello,

I just bought my first house because of Bigger Pockets! Our plan is to rehab it while we live here then move out after a year and keep it as a rental. Our insurance company is now threatening to drop us if we don't have a roofer come and evaluate our roof and take their recommendation for repairing or replacing it. The insurance inspector didn't even get on the roof and roof looks great from the ground, but they are saying the inspector found something with our roof that we must address. The previous owner has disclosed that the roof was replaced 2 years ago. I had other clients tell me this same thing happened to them with this insurance agency but I didn't think it would happen to us! Our home inspection did find the roof was "soft" and our contractor said it was thin ply wood and that he thinks it should last at least 5 years. We were planning on replacing it with a metal roof right before we sell it in about 5 years anyway. Metal roofs are popular here. Houses don't appreciate here so you have to force appreciation through upgrades.

Anyway does anyone have suggestions for an insurance company that won't drop us over the roof?? 

We aren't ready to spend that kind of money on the roof just yet as we want to focus on the inside so we can raise the rent. The previous owner was a landlord who rented it for $750 for the last 10 years. We want to turn a half bath into a whole and add a dishwasher to the kitchen. We want to up the rent to $900.

Thanks!

Loading replies...