• Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Insurance Non-Renewal due to Claims in Texas

Matthew Hite
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Dallas, TX
Posted Jan 10 2020, 14:35

I have received a non-renewal notification from my insurance provider due to a high loss ratio. During 2019, I had a water heater burst in the property causing water damage in which I filed a claim. Shortly after while performing remediation on the same property, my contractor identified that there was significant hail damage to the roof and so an additional claim was submitted.

The property is in Texas and I've read on the Texas Department of Insurance website (paragraph 22 on https://tdi.texas.gov/rules/bor-home-english.html) that insurance companies cannot use claims you filed as a basis to non-renew your policy. My insurance broker is based on California so should I reach out to them with this information? Or should I attempt to find another insurance provider? I am concerned that the property may be considered uninsurable due to the past claims.

Also, if anyone has any recommendations for insurance companies for rental properties covering the Dallas-Fort Worth area please let me know. Thank you!

Loading replies...