• USA
Votes |
Rental Property Liability Insurance

Jordan L.
  • Investor
  • USA
Posted Feb 12 2021, 14:34

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations as to what insurance companies provide landlords with liability insurance beyond the typical property damage and bodily injury coverage.  Does anyone have any knowledge of or experience with more extensive liability policies?

Thank you!

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Feb 12 2021, 15:12

@Jordan Little

By definition General Liability is protection against Bodily Injury and Property damage claims, so what your asking about will

Probably fall under a different name/title.

What types of claims are you looking to cover?

User Stats

Votes
Jordan L.
  • Investor
  • USA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • USA
Replied Feb 12 2021, 18:35

Hi @Jason Bott, thanks for the response.  There's an array of situations in which I could imagine a tenant suing--  emotional distress, breach of contract, dissatisfaction with how repairs/security deposits/tenant approvals are handled...  etc.  I can't even really anticipate what one could potentially encounter given the litigious nature of American culture these days.

I'd be most interested in a policy that would provide complete coverage for any legal matter that I may be faced with as a landlord.  I'm not even sure that such a thing exists, but there are certainly gaping holes in general liability policies that only cover property damage and personal injury.

Rent To Retirement logo
Rent To Retirement
|
Sponsored
Turnkey Rentals 12+ States. SFR, MF & New Builds, High ROI! 5% down loan options. Access the BEST deals in the US in one place. Txt REI to 33777

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Feb 15 2021, 14:25

@Jordan L. 

emotional distress, breach of contract, dissatisfaction with how repairs/security deposits/tenant approvals are handled... etc.

In most of these cases, these would be a civil suit against the landlord. These suits may be picked up under a Professional E&O policy. These policies start around $1500 per year and have a $5,000 deductible, so the majority of landlords decide to self insure for these types of claims.

User Stats

Votes
Jordan L.
  • Investor
  • USA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • USA
Replied Feb 15 2021, 15:30

@Jason Bott Thank you for the information. Do most big-name insurance carriers offer Professional E&O policies?

User Stats

Votes
Jason Bott
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Insurance Contributor
  • Insurance Agent
  • Nationwide
Replied Feb 15 2021, 17:06
Originally posted by @Jordan L.:

@Jason Bott Thank you for the information. Do most big-name insurance carriers offer Professional E&O policies?

E&O is more of a Nonstandard policy, but companies like Hartford and Hanover have a product.

User Stats

Votes
Jason Crowe
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jacksonville, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Jacksonville, FL
Replied Feb 20 2021, 20:10

Who in florida has good coverage for rentals today?  Who do you recommend?