Rapid decline of Detroit via streetview

9 Replies

First let me say I know nothing about Detroit..... but if I had to invest in the areas in the pictures I would pick the first one. Take a look at the homes to the right of the burnt out house. They seem to be very well cared for..

Here's my grandparents house in Detroit that they lived in for 40 years. I'm glad they didn't live to see this. It was a nice house and neghborhood when they were there. Now, not so much.....

Corner house

Not sure how to embed the pic, so I had to have the link. I used the Google street guy to go all the way down the street. What a shame. When I was a kid in the early 80's, I could ride my bike down the street without a car in the world. All the people were friendly and the homes were weel kept. Now, I wouldn't go there with my Glock and a bullet proof vest.

This is interesting. For S's & G's, I checked the sales history on my granparents house. I remember my grandpa saying that he bought the house in 1946 for $4,500. He later added a room on the back. They sold it in 1986 (after the neighborhood had gotten really bad) for $13,500.

Here's the sales since 2003 (as far back as my system goes)

10/13/2003 $60,000 Warranty deed

9/15/2008 $6,800 Sheriff's deed

6/15/2009 $1,200 QCD

12/16/2010 $11,600 QCD

I'm curious as to why so many houses have fire damage. I can understand vandals stripping the copper, squatting, etc., but are there guys that go around torching random houses?

but are there guys that go around torching random houses?

In Detroit?  Yes.  Devil's Night.

This is sad to see happening.  But its just a symptom of the oversupply of housing in Detroit.  Detroit's population is only 40% of what it was at its peak in the 1950's.  That means there are a lot of houses (and other buildings) that are completely unwanted.  That's why you can buy something there for $1000 or less.  If doesn't mean all houses are worthless there, but many are.  And why I think a program to raze some of these buildings is essential to Detroit's recovery.

Same thing happened where I grew up in rural MO.  It wasn't unusual for a successful farmer to build a "new house" not too far from the "old house".  The old house ended up used for storage, campouts or whatever until it eventually decayed to the point where it had to be burnt or dozed.

This is the real meaning of depreciation.  If a property is not lived in and maintained continuously this is what will happen to ANY building.  The process is perhaps accelerated in Detroit vs. other locations, but the same thing happens everywhere.

Must have robocop

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.