The riskiest housing markets in the U.S.

9 Replies

The real estate rollercoaster ride for U.S. homeowners isn't new. Some markets had even rockier rides in the early 1980s or '90s.

When so much wealth is tied up in one asset, the risk -- or stability -- of a local market can mean a lot to a homeowner. (See “The Hidden Risks in Your Housing Market” for more on this.) Bloomberg.com asked real estate website Zillow.com to help us figure out which U.S. markets have been the riskiest over the last 35 years.

Our measure of risk: Assuming buyers held on to their homes for five years before selling, what was their chance of suffering a loss? As a secondary criterion, we compared the worst annual losses homeowners in these markets have experienced since 1979.

Scroll to the end to see some of the stablest real estate markets, and the methodology used to create the ranking.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/the-riskiest-housing...

Interesting to see Dfw made the list. Best year is in the '80s with only 1.5% gains in 12 months? Thanks for sharing

Pittsburgh and Buffalo have zero chance of loss. I learned something new today. ; /

Originally posted by @Kevin Tran:

Interesting to see Dfw made the list. Best year is in the '80s with only 1.5% gains in 12 months? Thanks for sharing

I believe it shows DFW up 12% in 1980.  Not far off that over the past year. 

I couldn't agree more @Jon Klaus We come through good deals all the time in Pittsburgh. People can't believe some of the cap rates we have. Great place to invest.

Saying something has a zero percent chance of loss is complete and utter nonsense. Even if there is a very small chance, there is still a chance. Top-notch journalism per usual, Yahoo and Bloomberg.

Denver came in at #11.

27% chance of a loss in 5 years assuming you bought today.

5 years is about the worst time frame to hold IMO. If you are going to hold look at 10 years. You don't have a chance to get in and out but you also can't stay around long enough to ride out the rough patches.

I have seen very little people lose their shirt in Pittsburgh, and when they do it's because they didn't pay attention to the streets when they ran comps.

Thank you for posting this article. I question the reliability of the data sources though.  it looks like zillow and yahoo are using automated systems to analyze the data historical data to make correlations.  However, correlations do not imply cause and effect.  I would be interested in knowing if either organization has made any effort to look at current data in these markets to solidify these sketchy results.  Looks to be lazy research and basic apoclypic fear driven news.  Thank you mass media :)

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here