Mean Center of US Population

8 Replies

That's about a 45 minute drive from my house.

I thought the mean center was Washington DC.  Those politicians are the meanest SOBs I know. 

And heading south pretty steadily as well.

Originally posted by @Rick Baggenstoss:

And heading south pretty steadily as well.

Might hit Texas in a several decades if the trend continues. 

I don't think it will hit Texas unless we fulfill Jefferson's expectations (all of NA), which is obviously very unlikely.  But I do think that Texas' continued attractiveness to business (Thank  you anti-business CA) will continue to draw workers.  Hopefully there won't be any major bust to go along with the current energy boom, granted Texas is more diverse than it was the last time, but a bust would still hurt.  

I think the mean population center will be hitting NW Arkansas or NE Oklahoma in a few decades.  

Yeah, looks like it would take over 100 years to hit Texas. However, that turn south over the past century is fairly pronounced. 

Originally posted by @Jon Klaus:

that turn south over the past century is fairly pronounced. 

And started right about 1920, which is when residential air conditioning was introduced, according to wikipedia.

"the first large-scale electrical air conditioning was invented and used in 1902 by American inventor Willis Carrier. The introduction of residential air conditioning in the 1920s helped enable the great migration to the Sun Belt in the United States."

It's already in Texas......County, about 40 miles away from me, no wonder I'm feeling crowded. It's why we have so many transportation companies around here. :)  

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.

By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.