"Money For Nothing" - Documentary about 07/08 Housing Crash

11 Replies

Hey BP Community,

I watched a pretty good documentary a few nights ago and figured I would recommend it to everyone. It's called "Money for Nothing" and is currently on Netflix.

Primarily, the documentary is about the Federal Reserve Bank. It goes into depth about the history of the US Dollar and our transition away from the 'gold standard.' It talks about what led to the great depression, the dot.com bust, and most recently the 07/08 housing market crash. The movie does a good job of staying A-political, but pulls no punches on it's scathing review of the role the Federal Reserve Bank had in all of the crises during the last century.

It's definitely an interesting watch for real estate investors, because it explains how interest rates are used as tools to move the economy in one direction or another. Hope you enjoy!

Thanks Tyler, I will definitely be checking this out. Sounds interesting!

You're very welcome, hope you enjoy!

Thanks but what I want to know is, do I get my chicks for free?  :)

Originally posted by @Bill Gulley :

Thanks but what I want to know is, do I get my chicks for free?  :)

Only if you keep the eggs in a warm place for three weeks.

@Tyler Flagg  

NO THANKS I had a front row seat to the events as they happened.. No need to dredge up nightmares again  :)   I have almost forgotten it even happened.. Maybe that's just old age and bad memory

Very interesting. I just watched it. Thanks for the recommendation. 

Thanks for the recommendation! This is going to be the next one after "The Big Short"

Originally posted by @Francesco Barbati :

Thanks for the recommendation! This is going to be the next one after "The Big Short"

Put "99 Homes" on that list of yours. 

Similar to "machete order" for Star Wars, someone needs to compile a list of the canonical mortgage meltdown films and the proper viewing order. 

@Chris Mason   I caught 99 homes last year on one of my trans con flights..  that was quite accurate depiction of some of the bad players in the industry through those troubling times.

I know even before the melt down when I was super active in courthouse steps buying.

I dealt with personally the trustor that swore up and down they made a payment they are being screwed. etc etc... was some tough situations.

I had one attempted suicide and one that was successful .. was not for the faint of heart.

Originally posted by @Chris Mason :
Originally posted by @Francesco Barbati:

Put "99 Homes" on that list of yours. 

Similar to "machete order" for Star Wars, someone needs to compile a list of the canonical mortgage meltdown films and the proper viewing order. 

Thanks man, very appreciated.

And I was thinking the same. We need this kind of list, and also expanded to other financial crisis and bubbles. At the end real estate is a business, and probably newbies like me could always learn something new about money, finances and business.

That was really worth the watch, thanks for recommending that Tyler!

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here