Houston rents are surging — despite the plunge in oil prices

8 Replies

For some reason people tend to forget that there is more to Houston than oil.

One analyst I spoke to said that oil companies are using the low prices to axe upper management (70k+ incomes) and hire up more workers... so rent is up!

@Jerry Ta This is 100% true! One of my properties tax appraisal went up 20% front last year to this year. Time to fight it

Jerry Ta This is 100% true! One of my properties tax appraisal went up $20k front last year to this year. Time to fight it

@Jerry Ta

@Nick Weidner

Property Tax protest season is approaching.  I protest my property taxes every year with moderate success.  I use O'Connor & Associates www.poconnor.com/ .  You can also protest your taxes without a commercial service if you have the time.  There is a lot of "how to" articles on the Internet.

This post is somewhat timely being that I just reviewed my tax info the other day. I too experienced a $22k increase one of my properties which represents a 31% increase, which is absurd. Will definitely be protesting the increase on all properties.

This is why I love Bigger Pockets. I am experiencing the same thing and now I know what to do.