Houston rents are surging — despite the plunge in oil prices

8 Replies

For some reason people tend to forget that there is more to Houston than oil.

This post has been removed.

Rents may be surging, but so are property tax values, which is wiping out most gains if not all.  Anyone that is a landlord in Houston needs to raise their rent in order to just stay even.  

@Jerry Ta This is 100% true! One of my properties tax appraisal went up 20% front last year to this year. Time to fight it

Jerry Ta This is 100% true! One of my properties tax appraisal went up $20k front last year to this year. Time to fight it

@Jerry Ta

@Nick Weidner

Property Tax protest season is approaching.  I protest my property taxes every year with moderate success.  I use O'Connor & Associates www.poconnor.com/ .  You can also protest your taxes without a commercial service if you have the time.  There is a lot of "how to" articles on the Internet.

This post is somewhat timely being that I just reviewed my tax info the other day. I too experienced a $22k increase one of my properties which represents a 31% increase, which is absurd. Will definitely be protesting the increase on all properties.

This is why I love Bigger Pockets. I am experiencing the same thing and now I know what to do. 

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.