• Developer
  • Waikoloa, HI
Votes |
Modular Home Building Factory

Brian Klingbail
  • Developer
  • Waikoloa, HI
Posted Nov 12 2018, 13:18

I'm analyzing a development opportunity on one of the Hawaii islands that would involve the construction of 850 worker houses over the next several years. These homes would be vital to residents by providing affordable housing to locals, which would help keep the economy growing. The construction costs of these homes would have to come in at $100/ft to make the project feasible.  The price/ft would be very difficult to hit under current market conditions.  Utilizing a modular home product shows tremendous potential as an adequate solution. At time of writing this, no such factories currently service the area.  

The large volume of homes that would be needed appear to support  the start-up/build-out of a modular home factory to supply the homes at a price point necessary for the development to proceed. Such a factory would be a big economic driver for the area and would help to provide long term cost-effective housing options necessary to satisfy future needs on the islands. 

I am looking for any help or assistance with contacts or information from anyone familiar with modular home factory production.  I am hoping to gather a more accurate depiction of metrics such as building size, land necessary, equipment needs, staffing requirements, etc. that would help to analyze the feasibility of such an endeavor.  Any assistance in this arena would be greatly appreciated.  Partnerships and/or strategic alliances would also be of tremendous benefit as well.