• Rental Property Investor
  • Kaysville, UT
Votes |
Salt Lake City - Winter Olympics 2030??

Jaiden Olsen
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Kaysville, UT
Posted Dec 18 2018, 13:28

Hey Biggerpockets! Salt Lake City is one of two cities still on the list as a potential host for the 2030 winter Olympics (See article). Aside from all of the growth that is currently going on in the Salt Lake and surrounding areas (including Weber, Davis, and Utah Counties), what affect would this decision play in the real estate market?  Salt Lake City stands out as a potential candidate because many of the required facilities are already in place. Many people believe Salt Lake City would have to expel relatively little effort to host the Olympics again. Not to mention the fact that Salt Lake City was one of the only host cities in history to make a profit from hosting the Olympics back in 2002. I think that it is a great option and would love to see the Olympics come to Salt Lake again. I wanted to start a discussion to see how real estate is affected by massive events like the Olympics and what other people have experienced in the past, not only in Utah but other areas of the US. In what ways do people anticipate these events, and strategize to maximize their returns. I know that vacation rentals (airbnb, vrbo, etc) would be a great place to invest during that time, but I feel that there are potentially more profitable ways to invest in real estate in the  years preceding large events like the Olympics. I know that there is so much that can change in 12 years, but I don't think it is too early to start a discussion.

Loading replies...