Federal Push for no Residential Zoning

7 Replies

As a former city Planning Commissioner and investor, I believe federal proposals eliminating residential zoning may be the biggest change yet in the name of equity and inclusion. Not getting a lot of daylight so far, but the concept is on the drawing boards, enforced by the flow of federal grant money.

What do you think?

rezone to what..  everything is unclassified and you can build whatever you want ??  kind of like parts of Texas in the day

and other western states. ?  or does this mean everything moves to MF or high density ?

Yes, SFR neighborhoods would be subject to units, rehab facilities, high density multifamily, constant pressure to up zone. It is coming. Check the general internet news for more specifics. Forget the politics, focus on the economics. The erosion in equities will offset any individual parcel gain.

Ridiculous.. go to almost any other country and see what a disaster that idea is.

Do you think having a strip club, a tire shop, used asphalt shingle dupe site next to your home would increase values and enhance safety?

I'm very much a libertarian, but zoning has been one of the great value creators in our country.

Originally posted by @Scott Lieberg :

Yes, SFR neighborhoods would be subject to units, rehab facilities, high density multifamily, constant pressure to up zone. It is coming. Check the general internet news for more specifics. Forget the politics, focus on the economics. The erosion in equities will offset any individual parcel gain.

Already happened in Oregon.. all r 1 SFR I believe now can have duplex's built on them..

And Portland in particular has already done this.  building MF with ZERO parking.. I built 3 homes in one zone in Portland and was NOT allowed off street parking or garage I wanted to go under neath the units for parking NOT ALLOWED  you know everyone should take public transit or ride their bikes.  RIGHT just makes a mess of the parking situation on the street.

Not to be a conspiracy theorist but if you look at the "futuristic" movies that have come out over the last 20 years of what "society" looks like in the future it's generally tall multifamily types of skyscrapers. If you think inventory is tight on SFRs in 2021,...imagine what it will be like in 2121 if this comes to pass. :-)

Just kidding..................................sort of.

The federal plan to rezone the Suburbs to higher density Multi-Family Housing was outlined on Fox News by Tucker Carlson this evening, using federal dollars, awarded or withheld, as leverage.