Door County Wisconsin

5 Replies

Hello,  Is anyone currently investing in Door County Wisconsin?  What is the market like there? Have prices appreciated significantly in the last year? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks Marty

@Martin Fletcher

Hello Martin. I grew up in Green Bay and now live near Milwaukee. I own property on Lake Michigan that I am going to build on but the lumber prices have put that on hold so I have been looking to buy land or rentals.

I studied the Planning department meeting minutes for Sturgeon Bay and Egg Harbor so far for the previous 10 years. What I am seeing are lots of condo projects and mixed use over the last 5 years.

I am curious to see if supply outstrips the demand or if the supply makes more people visit Door County.

I have also seen a change in mindset of these planning departments from stringy, “don’t like change” mentality to more open and flexible.

As far as prices, I feel that they increased proportionately to everywhere else depending on location (of course). The more walkable the property then the more demand.

Promotion
Motivated Leads
Marketing For Investors…By Investors
We Get Houses For Real Estate Investors
We help investors get more off market deals from distressed sellers.
Learn More

Second home sales have been up 43%, prices as well - pandemic related. Door County is a summer destination for locals. Most businesses close in the winter.

You can invest everywhere and make it a success, but I would favor primary residences over optional vacation housing. If you like the area then invest in Green Bay or the Fox Valley, otherwise Milwaukee - the (smaller) capital Madison is a lot more expensive. 

@Martin Fletcher I'm currently in Door County doing some boots on the ground research. I live in Madison which is about 3.5 hours away. I have found the STR ordinances are changing to become a little more restrictive in some locations i.e., minimum one week stay.

I'm a real estate Broker and have contacted a few agents here seeking some local knowledge. I will let you know if I connect with someone who I feel can guide me as a remote investor.