Eviction Moratorium Expiring Tonight?

6 Replies

It actually looks like it's going to happen: "The federal eviction moratorium in place since September is set to expire Saturday, after the Biden administration refused to extend it and Democrats in Congress couldn't muster the votes to intervene."

But geez, look the ridiculously biased language of this article (and pretty much every one like it.) https://www.politico.com/news/...

Governor of Maryland lifted our state of emergency, then put it back in place, quietly, 12 days later keeping it in place in MD. Not sure if DCs expires with the Federal moratorium or not.

OMG! Ohio tenants shouldn't be evicted en mass, at least my county has been getting the money out. I've had tenants getting funded since LAST July. They did 3 short rounds of funding: July 2020, Oct 2020, Dec 2020, then since March 2021 they opened the application permanently instead of closing it after a week like the other times and I've had tenants applying and getting funding ever since. Last Monday was the last check I got. I still have 4 tenants waiting for funding.

Originally posted by Russell Brazil:

Governor of Maryland lifted our state of emergency, then put it back in place, quietly, 12 days later keeping it in place in MD. Not sure if DCs expires with the Federal moratorium or not.

I think you'll see a good number of states, particularly liberal ones, keep statewide moratoriums in place for the indefinite future. We shall see.

There is no need for residents to seek funding if they can't be evicted...or go to work if they can make the same amount of money on unemployment.  There should be a moratorium on stupidity.

Originally posted by @Jill F. :

OMG! Ohio tenants shouldn't be evicted en mass, at least my county has been getting the money out. I've had tenants getting funded since LAST July. They did 3 short rounds of funding: July 2020, Oct 2020, Dec 2020, then since March 2021 they opened the application permanently instead of closing it after a week like the other times and I've had tenants applying and getting funding ever since. Last Monday was the last check I got. I still have 4 tenants waiting for funding.

I wonder what is going to happen when the funding stops and they go back to work and pay rent?  Are all of them still out of work?

Originally posted by @Theresa Harris :
Originally posted by @Jill F.:

I wonder what is going to happen when the funding stops and they go back to work and pay rent?  Are all of them still out of work?

All of my tenants have gone back to work. Some that got behind just missed because they got covid or had to quarantine. I have one tenant that got long covid and she is now back to work too. Over half my units are 1bed/1bath so a lot are young and don't have much of a safety net. We were lucky though, we didn't have any grifters. Everybody tried and did their best and those that struggled cooperated with the aid process.

The one hiccup we had was when the aid ran out in December 2020 and about half my tenants didn't get funded. Then in Jan. the county changed the published policy so that those with evictions filed went to the front of the line so when stimulus was paid, I asked for (and got) additional security deposits instead of filing on people (because it's damaging) for everyone waiting for aid because we didn't know for sure if the aid would come through. The county didn't start paying out again until April and all the people left hanging had to reapply in March but they did eventually get funded. They could have saved us all a lot of stress by just assuring everyone that we would get paid.