We’ve found some great mapping resources to aid in your real estate & investing research. Search graphic, topo, satellite, arial photo, and hazard maps via these helpful resources.
Directory of Real Estate Map Resources
National Mapping Services
- Bing Maps – National mapping and driving directions.
- Digital Globe – Library of satellite imagery and maps
- Google Maps – Map addresses around the U.S. graphically, or by satellite. Also driving directions.
- MapQuest – National mapping and driving directions.
- TerraFly – A public service of Florida International University sponsored by NSF (MII, MRI et al.) and by NASA, USGS, and IBM, TerraFly offers geospatial maps, parcel maps, demographic and countless other data points. RECOMMENDED SOURCE!
- TerraServer – Search Aerial photo maps and Topo Maps across the US
- USGS National Map Viewer – Offers visualizations of all eight primary themes of The National Map data sets, including US Topo and historical topographic map products.
- Yahoo Maps – National mapping and driving directions.
3D Earth Viewing Software
- Google Earth – 3D Earth-viewing software – Free Download
- NASA World Wind – Open Source 3D Earth-viewing software developed by NASA that accesses NASA JPL database. Free download.
Hazard Mapping Resources
- ESRI Hazard Awareness Maps – Find flood hazard areas, recent earthquakes, (historic earthquakes, hailstorms, hurricanes, tornadoes and windstorms)
- FEMA Flood Maps – Click on Map Search: Locate flood maps for regions and cities across the United States
- FEMA Hazard Maps – Locate areas where hazards have occurred. e.g. hurricanes, floods, hail storms, volcanic activity
- USGS Seismic Hazard Maps – Find seismic zones around the country.
- ABAG Interactive Liquefaction Zone Mapping – Bay Area, CA: Use this interactive online mapping platform to search liquefaction zones in the Bay Area, CA.
Water Mapping Resources
- Ground Water Atlas of the United States – From the USGS: search aquifers, rainfall, and other relevant information.