Whenever you start something new or get extremely busy it is easy to get overwhelmed.
It is easy to get worked up and worry if all the tasks that need done will be done in time.
There is an easy way to take control of the work that needs done; whether it be with learning about real estate or managing a project at work. Here’s how.
Why I Think This Article is Important
I have a lot going on and many times I get overwhelmed myself.
For example: I have 6 fix and flips properties and I just had to fire my main contractor. I think I have found a great replacement, but it is hard to tell until after a few projects.
I have 10 rental properties now and we have had to rent five of them in the last two months due to new purchases and move outs. I have my real estate team (which is doing great) but I have to constantly manage overhead and make sure enough deals are in the pipeline. Then I have my blog, which is fun, but takes time as well.
I actually do not get stressed too often, even though I have a lot going on. I have many techniques that help me stay focused and I have a great team to help me.
Some people claim they work better under stress or when something has to be done. In most cases… that simply isn’t true.
We usually do our best work when we are relaxed and focused. You may get more done when you have a strict deadline because you have to get it done or face dire consequences. That doesn’t mean you are doing your best or most efficient work.
How to Handle Stress
So, how can you can you calm down when there is too much work to do?
It is easy to get frazzled and lose focus when we feel too much has to be done in the given amount of time to do it. If you look back at your life at situations that seemed impossible, I bet you came out okay in the end. Either you got the work done, got an extension or the consequences were not that dire when you failed to meet your deadline. After all, your still breathing and reading this article right?
Here is what I do when I have too much to do and too little time. Technically I should do this all the time whether I am under a deadline or not.
1. The first step is to relax and realize it is not the end of the world if you miss your deadline.
2. The second step is to focus on one task at a time, do not multitask! Multitasking takes more time and create low quality work.
3. The third step is to make a list of everything that needs done. This gives you a plan and an idea of the tasks at hand.
4. The fourth step is to prioritize those tasks by what is the most critical thing that needs done. Many times we do the easy tasks first because we feel like we are getting something done. The most important tasks should be done first. If you don’t get everything done in time, you want to make sure the critical tasks were done and the less important tasks were left for later.
5. The fifth step is to tackle the most important tasks first without distraction and finish one task before you start another. Focus is one of the hardest things to do in our society. I have a really hard time focusing on one thing, but I work so much quicker when I focus. Shut your office door, hold calls, turn off your cell phone, do whatever you need to do to be free of distractions.
6. The sixth step is to cross off the items on your list one by one as you complete them. This gives you a sense of accomplishment, shows you the list is getting smaller and more management and gives you confidence you can get it all done.
This is a simple technique, but most people will never use it.
It is hard to make yourself be free of distractions and focus. If you need something done quickly, this is the best way to get it done.
How do YOU avoid stress in your life? Share your thoughts in the comment section below!