Failure is no stranger in the real estate industry which is why we are excited to bring Nathan Brooks to The BiggerPockets Podcast today, an investor who knows firsthand that real estate can be tough!
Nathan is an investor (both flips and rentals) from Kansas who went through a very difficult period during the real estate crash, losing all his properties and filing bankruptcy due to a shady partner and jumping in too quickly. Nathan has since emerged as a much stronger real estate investor and carries an incredible story with numerous lessons to share. Get ready to learn how failure can transform your life!
Read the Transcript
Click here to read the transcript.
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Special thanks to today’s sponsors Pensco. Be sure to check them out at: Learn.Pensco.Com
Links from the Show:
- Nathan’s post, “The Art of Saying No (Or How to Avoid Buying a House That Could Literally Kill Somebody)“
- Nathan’s Blog Posts here on BiggerPockets
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing from BiggerPockets
- BP Podcast 077: Negotiating Your Way to 1000 Wholetail Real Estate Deals with Michael Quarles
In This Show We Cover:
- How Nathan found his first business partner at lunch
- Why Nathan bought two houses as a newbie – and lived to regret it
- How to find partners through BiggerPockets
- The opposite of paralysis by analysis
- How Nathan ended up filing bankruptcy
- Nathan’s current (more conservative) investing strategy
- Dealing with tenants in a $20k property
- How to make a unit stand out among the competition
- Dealing with “Cat Ladies” and “Hoarder Houses“
- How Nathan finds deals
- Finding mentors and lenders on Craigslist?
- How to find a real estate-minded attorney
- And so much more!
Books Mentioned in the Show
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller
- The Unofficial Guide to Real Estate Investing by Spencer Strauss and Martin Stone
- The Four Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss
- Unlimited Power : The New Science Of Personal Achievement by Anthony Robbins
Don’t go into business with someone you don’t know. It’s just stupid. (Tweet This!)
The lessons I’ve learned have made me a better investor today. (Tweet This!)
There’s a deal for everyone, but this deal might not be for you. (Tweet This!)
The job of a Real Estate Investor is to solve problems. (Tweet This!)
Know the answers before asking the questions. (Tweet This!)