Ever wonder what real estate investing looks like from a real estate agent’s perspective?
On today’s episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down with Dawn Brenengen, a real estate agent-turned-landlord and discuss how she made the transition into the investing world, as well as her tricks and tips for success as a landlord. Along with important insight into the real estate licensing process, Dawn covers property management, house hacking, and a whole lot more! Listen for advice on finding a great property, handling everyday rental issues and finding that elusive “ideal” tenant. And in case you were wondering when it’s appropriate to bend the “2% Rule” — this episode explores that, too!
Whether you have experience as a real estate agent or not, don’t miss this inspiring show!
Read the Transcript
Click here to read the transcript.
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
In This Show We Cover:
- How Dawn got started in real estate
- Thoughts on being a licensed real estate agent
- The qualities that make a successful agent
- A real estate agent’s perspective on what investors are looking for
- The 2% rule — and how to know when to bend it
- Importance characteristics of a great property
- The process of “house hacking“
- What you need to know about property management
- How to handle tenant issues with grace
- The process of qualifying tenants
- Different perspectives on owning a home
- The ins and outs of establishing relationships with property managers
- The pros and cons of self management versus hiring the job out
- Tenant red flags and finding the ideal tenant
- Plus MUCH more!
Links From the Show:
- The Real Estate Agent’s Ultimate Guide to Working with Investors
- Brandon’s article on House Hacking
- Podcast Episode with Chris Clothier
- BP Podcast Show 100
- Resident Research
- List Hub
- BiggerPockets Forum
- Be a Guest on the Podcast
Books Mentioned in the Show
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg
- I Shouldn’t Be Telling You This by Kate White