The links to third-party products and services on this page are affiliate links, meaning that BiggerPockets may earn a commission (at no additional cost to you) if you click through and make a purchase.
When getting started, should you go BIG or go small? On this episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast, learn how Himanshu Jain got started investing in real estate by buying BOTH a condo and a 20-unit apartment complex. Discover the lessons Himanshu learned in the process, as well as the pros and cons of each. Additionally, the discussion on property management is going to blow you away — especially when you learn why Himanshu uses not one but THREE different property managers to look after his portfolio.
Whether you want to diversify your real estate portfolio or you’re just interested in different forms of investing, check out this fascinating, innovative episode!
Read the Transcript
Click here to read the transcript.
Listen to The Show on iTunes
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: Podio.
Podio is an online and mobile CRM tool from Citrix, that’s the perfect fit for the always-on-the-go workstyle of a real estate agent.
Voucher code: biggerpockets
Fire Round Sponsor
A huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor HomeSearch.
HomeSearch.com is an online marketplace committed to helping home buyers, sellers and investors achieve their real estate goals through utilizing an advanced auction platform.
Learn more by visiting HomeSearch
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Himanshu got started with real estate investing
- The pros and cons of getting a vacation rental as a first property
- How he branched out into condo units
- What exactly corporate housing is
- Opinions on Homeowners Associations
- How he made the big jump to multifamily
- How to use another business to finance your next deal
- Why exit strategy matters to Himanshu
- The ins and outs of having multiple property managers
- Tips on marketing multifamily units
- How Himanshu finds properties
- How he dealt with “unusual activity” in his multifamily unit
- Why he became a real estate agent
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show:
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert T. Kiyosaki
- Blue Ocean Strategy by W. Chan Kim
- The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone
- “Buy with the end in mind.” (Tweet This!)
- “Nobody will ever take as good a care when it comes to properties as yourself.” (Tweet This!)