Around BiggerPockets, we often encourage newer investors to sit down with an experienced real estate investor to “pick their brain” and soak up their wisdom. Today on the BiggerPockets Podcast, we want to do just that. Dave Short began investing in real estate nearly half a century ago and has an incredible level of insight into the ups and downs of building wealth through real estate. We cover everything from overcoming failure to flipping a hundred houses in four years and much more!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
Fire Round Sponsor
A huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor FreshBooks.
FreshBooks customers spend less time on paperwork, freeing up 2 days per month to focus on the work they love. What would you do with that extra time?
Learn more by visiting FreshBooks.
In This Episode We Cover:
- How he got started in real estate from a factory job 44 years ago
- The grave need for property management and liquidating their business
- Thoughts on going through investing with over a million dollars in debt
- Tips for making partners instead of having bank relationships
- How help from the outside opened his eyes
- Why you should stay in the game despite failures
- The importance of working with the right people
- How many transactions he has done over his real estate career
- How he flips a house
- Who’s on his team
- How to hook a spouse on investing in real estate
- How he buys his deals
- How to get a good transaction as a wholesaler
- Making a deal by solving other people’s problems
- How to show yourself to be legit as a wholesaler
- Why you should find a veteran investor in your market
- What “pre-habbing” a house is
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Jobs
- Google Play
- Tim Ferris’ Podcast
- BP Podcast Show 91: Getting Started as a Real Estate Wholesaler with Ben Grise
- BiggerPockets Keyword Alerts
- BiggerPockets Meet
- BiggerPockets Analysis Tools
- BiggerPockets Forums
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss
- The Book on Rental Property Investing by Brandon Turner
- The ONE Thing by Gary Keller and Jay Papasan
- The Millionaire Real Estate Investor by Gary Keller
- Burst This! by Frank McKinney
- Unlimited Power by Anthony Robbins
- Awaken the Giant Within by Tony Robbins
- “The management is the key to success, and real estate is just the vehicle.” (Tweet This!)
- “In buying and selling real estate, every house has 2 to 4 solutions.” (Tweet This!)
- “The beauty in staying in the real estate business for 44 years is if you’re in a slump for 4 years, that’s only 10% of your career.” (Tweet This!)
- “If you can’t ask the right questions, then you’ll never get to the solution.” (Tweet This!)
- “I never look at them as competition. They’re people we work together with, and we can all make a living.” (Tweet This!)