Trying to build a real estate portfolio when you are brand new and work a full-time job can be tough. That’s why today we are excited to bring you an interview with an investor (and moonlighting stand-up comedian) with a remarkable story of using various “house hacks” to jump into the game. Charlie Kao, who hails from the Detroit, Michigan market, covers his entire investing journey, from condo investing to house flipping to landlording and more. And don’t miss Charlie’s powerful — and incredibly unique — strategy for finding deals through networking! Today’s show is sure to bring new strategies to your business, and the humor will leave you smiling all day!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com/
Fire Round Sponsor
A huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor Wunder.
Wunder Capital develops and manages solar investment funds by leveraging its national partnership network, tested processes, proprietary underwriting framework, and best-in-class online investment portal. Wunder actively manages everything, from the sourcing of commercial solar opportunities, to the underwriting, contracting, and construction of each project
Learn more by visiting WunderCapital.com.
In This Episode We Cover:
- Where Charlie comes from
- How he learned real estate from his dad
- Thoughts on starting off with $5-40k houses
- A discussion about Detroit
- The details of his first deal
- How he realized how to live and flip via working at the bank
- What exactly an underwriter is
- Charlie’s first true flip in Grand Rapids
- Thoughts on valuing your time when it comes to flipping
- Tips for living in your flip
- How he started out as a househacker
- How he lived in the house for two years
- How it might be difficult to live and flip with kids
- Tips for getting your spouse on board
- How to flip while having a full time w-2 job
- How many flips Charlie has done so far
- How he finds properties and the price range he looks for
- The mailman and the foundation specialist as sources of leads
- How he manages to get stated income loans
- Some of the worst deals he’s had
- What would have he done differently if he started all over again
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BP Podcast 170: The Journey From Flipping Houses to Owning 1,470 Units with Andrew Cushman
- BiggerPockets Events
- The Secret to Unlocking Bank Financing
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferris
- Maximum Achievement by Brian Tracy
- The Psychology of Selling by Brian Tracy
- “The more tools you have in your toolbox, the more projects you can take on.” (Tweet This!)
- “This is going to be the last time I make this mistake because I’m going to learn from it.” (Tweet This!)
- “It doesn’t matter how many things you’ve done; there are always things that could happen.” (Tweet This!)