What were you doing at 23 years old? Probably not building 17 houses like today’s guest! That’s right — our guest today on the BiggerPockets Podcast is Devan McClish, a real estate investor from Nashville who’s done nearly 60 deals in just the past couple years — using almost no money of his own. You’ll learn how Devan finds deals, raises money, works with contractors, and so much more. This show will go down as one of the greatest in BiggerPockets history — so don’t miss a second of it!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
Fire Round Sponsor
I’m sure many of you have seen explosive growth in residential solar installations. Similar to residential, small and medium sized businesses want to go solar. However, financing for commercial solar isn’t available to businesses unless they have investment grade credit.
Today’s sponsor, Wunder Capital, is helping to solve that problem by financing solar for SMBs. Learn how you can begin earning up to 11% returns at wundercapital.com/bp.
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Devan got started learning real estate when he was 18
- How he convinced a mentor to teach him
- His first deal 3 years later
- How to avoid the shiny object syndrome
- How he landed deals through direct mail
- How he initially funded his deals
- Living on $15,000 for a year
- How to deal with peer pressure when you’re “going cheap”
- The worst mistake he’s made so far
- The biggest challenge in the beginning
- Why finding the deal is harder than finding the money
- How Devan finds deals
- Tips on driving for dollars
- His future goals
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- How I Turned $1,000 into Five Million in Real Estate in My Spare Time by William Nickerson
- The Intelligent Investor by Benjamin Graham
- “While my friends are out drinking, I stay at home and try to find the next deal.” (Tweet This!)
- “Instead of spending $300/month on a brand new car, I’d rather spend that to get another 300 yellow letters out.” (Tweet This!)
- “Whenever they say you can’t do this, I say watch me do it.” (Tweet This!)