Jillian Johnsrud grew up lacking the privileges that many of us take for granted.
Jillian Johnsrud grew up poor, with an abusive step father and a mother unable to leave due to lack of funds. She emancipated herself during her junior year of high school, living in a camper in high school, waiting tables after class. Still, she managed to save $8,000 by the time she graduated.
She married young, and medical debt and student loan debt put her family in a tough starting position. From there, however, Jillian began building wealth. In adventures that span tons of different states and even a stint in Europe, Jillian was able to eliminate her debt and achieve financial freedom—all while never earning more than a median income.
Hear Jillian’s story of investing when everyone thinks you’re crazy, adopting a group of siblings, and “creating a life that is such a perfect fit she never wants to retire from it.”
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
The all-new FreshBooks is accounting software that makes running your small business easy, fast and secure. Spend less time on accounting and more time doing the work you love.
For a 30-day unrestricted trial, go to FreshBooks.com/bpmoney
In This Episode We Cover:
- The backstory behind Jillion moving out on her own at a young age
- How she found out she had huge debt
- What motivated her to learn more about financial freedom
- The advantages of having a roommate to pay half of the rent
- How she saved $125k from doing regular jobs and simple side jobs
- How she took of their children while working full-time
- Why she bought a $50k house instead of a more expensive, nicer one
- Their six children (including those they adopted)
- The challenges they encountered with the fixer-upper properties they bought
- How they’re taking a mini-retirement
- Life changes they made and why they travel often
- Thoughts on “looking poor”
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- Simplify Your Budget with Fun Money Accounts (Blog)
- Museum Pass
- Ultimate National Park Road Trip (Blog)
- Camp FI
Books Mentioned in this Show
- “Money equals choices.” (Tweet This!)
- “There are helpful ideas and unhelpful ideas to your goals.” (Tweet This!)