Grant grew up knowing his parents didn’t have much money. He recognized their constant stress about finances throughout his childhood, and one of his first memories was his dad telling him, “Money is freedom.”
Graduating from college in the middle of the Great Recession didn’t do much for his financial outlook. After bouncing around four different jobs, he landed back at home, unemployed and sleeping in the same bed he did when he was seven.
Then, one day he woke up and wanted to go to Chipotle but had less than $3 in his bank account. He was 24 years old. As trivial as it may seem, this was the wakeup call he needed to turn the corner and figure out his finances—once and for all.
Enter Google Mobile Ads. Grant realized the demand for digital advertising professionals was rising; he made a goal to make $1 million in that arena as soon as possible.
Google taught him everything he needed to know—for free—and Grant landed the first job he applied for.
He hit the million dollar mark in five years, six months, and three days. Grant now spends his time helping others figure out their finances so that they can live their best life, doing things they love every single day, through his blog Millennial Money and new book Financial Freedom: A Proven Path to All the Money You Will Ever Need.
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
Almost none of us have the time to read everything we’d like to read. Yet we lose countless hours to activities that bring us little joy such as commuting, chores and staring at our phones. What if we could turn these little blocks of unallocated time into precious and rewarding moments for learning and reflection? Founded in 2012 by four friends, Blinkist now connects 6-million readers worldwide to the biggest ideas from bestselling nonfiction via 15-minute audio and text.
Blinkist has a special offer for YOU. It’s a FREE 7 day trial — just go to Blinkist.com/biggerpockets
EveryPlate is America’s best value meal kit delivering filling, familiar, pre-measured ingredients with simple recipes, at only $4.99/meal. Flexible menus, plans and deliveries.
Get six free meals in your first three weeks by visiting EveryPlate.com and enter code: money6
In This Episode We Cover:
- Grant’s money journey
- On looking at money as a stressful thing
- Living with his parents again after working in a cubicle for four years
- How Google Mobile Ads helped him
- Getting Google AdWords certification for free
- How running Google Ads campaigns helped him achieve financial freedom
- On earning almost $300,000 building websites and flipping mopeds as a side hustle
- On saving 82% of his income
- How he got $1.25 million in his investment account in five years
- On having the “spend less, save more, and take free online courses” mindset
- Looking at time and money as human inventions
- Good step for people who just discovered the concept of financial independence
- The advantages of working remotely
- The difference between side hustling for someone else and side hustling for yourself
- On living a life you love regardless of the amount of money you are making
- The differences between financial independence and financial freedom
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast 28: How Anyone Can Easily Make Extra Money Using Side Hustles with Nick Loper
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast 35: Hacking Your Life to Live for (Almost) Free with Craig Curelop
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast 24: Getting Financially “Naked” with Your Significant Other — With Erin Lowry
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast 50: Rebuilding Your Financial Life After Bankruptcy with Patrice Washington
- Google AdWords
- BiggerPockets Podcast
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets: Real Estate Investor Deal Diaries
- The Coffeehouse Investor
- Mad Fientist
- BiggerPockets Money Podcast 18: Accessing Retirement Funds Before Age 59½ with The Mad Fientist
- Free Solo Documentary
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The Bogleheads’ Guide to Investing by Taylor Larimore and Mel Lindauer
- The Coffeehouse Investor by Bill Schultheis
- Set for Life by Scott Trench
- Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin and Joe Dominguez
- “I think when you really firmly commit to something, especially trying to reach FI as quickly as possible, the gains compound, the energy compounds.” (Tweet This!)
- “The whole idea of saving as much as early and often as you can was a much sounder strategy than rolling the dice and banking on an uncertain future.” (Tweet This!)
- “As long as people keep believing that time is money and that they need to trade their time for money, they’re always going to be held hostage by that simple idea.” (Tweet This!)
- “Money gives you the ability to have more control over the time and space in your life to do what you want with it.” (Tweet This!)
- “Life is the unexpected, it is not the optimized.” (Tweet This!)
- “Time is much more rich and valuable than money.” (Tweet This!)
- “With more money and promotions often comes more expectation and more responsibility.” (Tweet This!)
- “Skills are future currency.” (Tweet This!)