A lot of investors love to talk about the good times. But for life-long real estate investors, failure is often inevitable, especially during real estate crashes. That’s why we’re excited to bring you this discussion with Kathy Fettke today on the BiggerPockets Podcast. Kathy started her journey toward financial independence after receiving shocking news from a doctor, but used that motivation to begin investing. Alongside her husband, Kathy built up an impressive portfolio but struggled during the latest real estate crash. Still, she was able to emerge (and thrive) from the lessons learned. Today, Kathy shares how to avoid the mistakes that led to her difficult times! She also shares insight into buying real estate at a distance and handling the problems that can arise from long-distance landlording.
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com
Fire Round Sponsor
A huge thanks as well to our Fire Round sponsor FreshBooks.
FreshBooks customers spend less time on paperwork, freeing up 2 days per month to focus on the work they love. What would you do with that extra time?
Learn more by visiting FreshBooks.
In This Episode We Cover:
- The story behind the radio show
- How Kathy landed her first deal without money down
- How she converted single family units to multifamilies
- A discussion on FHA loans and house hacking
- Key pieces of Robert Kiyosaki’s advice
- Tips on buying from a distance and using property managers
- What you should know about finding the right agents, CPAs, and property managers
- What happened when Kathy got “too confident”
- The important lessons she learned after the collapse
- What metrics to look for in a market
- What it takes to come up with $3 million in five minutes
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Set for Life by Scott Trench
- Extreme Success by Rich Fettke
- Retire Rich with Rentals by Kathy Fettke
- The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley
- Priceless by William Poundstone
- The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown
- Wealth Can’t Wait by David Osborn
- Augmented by Brett King
- “The hardest times in our lives tend to be the times when we have to dig deep.” (Tweet This!)
- “Any time you get in front of the path of progress, you’re going to make money.” (Tweet This!)
- “If you can’t buy this car with cash, you shouldn’t have it.” (Tweet This!)
Connect with Kathy