Let’s be honest: not everyone is trying to buy hundreds or thousands of properties. In fact – just a small handful of incredible deals can help build impressive wealth AND great income. That’s the story you’ll hear today as we speak with Joe “JD” Martin, a real estate investor who’s building wealth while working his full-time job. As you’ll hear, JD had a rough start to his investing, losing over $100,000 on his first “deal,” but came back to create a stable, cash-flowing portfolio of single family houses that has given him financial freedom and over a million dollars in wealth. If that sounds like a plan you can get behind – don’t miss a moment of this powerful episode!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
Fire Round Sponsor
A huge thanks as well to our sponsor FreshBooks.
FreshBooks customers spend less time on paperwork, freeing up 2 days per month to focus on the work they love. What would you do with that extra time?
Learn more by visiting FreshBooks.
In This Episode We Cover:
- Losing six figures on the first deal
- The number one problem of that failed deal
- How Joe got back into investing again and the strategy he chose
- The details on his first rehab
- Landlords who hate being landlords
- How the quality of tenants matter
- The importance of knowing who you want to rent to
- Having a day job while investing
- A Simple investing strategy
- How he finances his properties
- What is Cashflow Recycling?
- The freedom to do what you love to do
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- BiggerPockets Pro Replay
- Josh’s Instagram Profile
- Brandon’s Instagram Profile
- Brandon’s Twitter Profile
- Josh’s Twitter Profile
- BiggerPockets Calculators and Analysis Tools
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Real Estate Investing For Dummies by Eric Tyson & Robert S. Griswold
- Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robbin, Joe Dominguez, & Monique Tilford
- The $100 Startup by Chis Guillebeau
- The Millionaire Next Door by Thomas J. Stanley & William D. Danko
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss
Fire Round Questions
- Can I get started in real estate with $20k… and how?
- What’s your best advice for tenant screening?
- Electric vs Natural Gas Range/oven for tenants
- Tenant’s dog bit me on the leg
- “A great place to live may not be a great place to sell to make some money.” (Tweet This!)
- “There’s no one path that works for everyone.” (Tweet This!)
- “You’re really just competing against yourself. There’s no competition.” (Tweet This!)