Looking to scale up your real estate investing business? If so, don’t miss this incredibly powerful episode of The BiggerPockets Podcast. On today’s show, you’ll meet Todd Dexheimer, who started investing in real estate while working a full-time job as a shop teacher at a Minnesota High School. Todd walks us through his journey of quitting his job and scaling his business to hundreds of flips and rental properties in just a few short years. You’ll hear how Todd analyzes markets before deals, how he puts together the financing on large multifamily purchases, and how he builds a solid team—no matter how far he’s located from the property.
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com
Fire Round Sponsor
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Todd got started in real estate
- How he found and financed his first deal
- What exactly a 203k loan is
- How he bought a rental and a flip
- How to three projects at the same time while working a full-time job
- What his investing life looks like today
- How he scaled his investing to hundreds of purchases
- How he was able to gradually quit his job
- Tips for digging deeper with midsize multifamily properties
- What he looks for in a property
- Advice for getting the overall picture of the market (a unique way to study markets)
- How Todd manages to invest out-of-state
- How to get the right people on your team
- Why he chose Cincinnati
- The story behind his 84-unit contract
- How he manages his projects
- His ski resort story
- Todd’s vision of owning $200 million in real estate
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- Marcus & Millichap
- ARA Rental
- Redi Cincinnati
- Raising Money to Buy 1,000 Apartment Units with Brian Adams
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Set for Life by Scott Trench
- Finding & Funding Great Deals by Anson Young (discounted!)
- Emerging Real Estate Markets by David Lindahl
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- The ABCs of Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy
- How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
Fire Round Questions
- Is a roof deck on a multifamily worth building?
- What services could a person provide that would not be considered acting as a property manager?
- Short Term or Long Term Lease?
- Flipping a house with extensive mold (advice or order of repairs)
- Adding sqft to a home
- Owner wants to sell 9 mos from now…best way to tie up property?
- “It’s not just about good cash flow; it’s about your ability to get out of that investment in the future.” (Tweet This!)
- “It’s all a referral business. People talk about people they like and trust.” (Tweet This!)
- “If you’re going to try to raise money, you’ve got to have people who know what you do.” (Tweet This!)
- “Getting good tenants is the best strategy.” (Tweet This!)