Today on the BiggerPockets Podcast, we’re excited to introduce you to a man who didn’t start investing until later in life but has built an impressive portfolio in the past few years. Even more, he bought his rentals thousands of miles away from where he lives! You’ll learn the inspiring tale of our guest, Bill Manassero, and how he went from running an orphanage in Haiti to buying rental properties and the challenges that transition caused. You’ll also be inspired by Bill’s heart and his real purpose for creating wealth through real estate. You are going to love this powerful episode, and it just might change why you invest in real estate! (And don’t miss Bill’s story of how his family appeared on Oprah!)
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com/
Fire Round Sponsor
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: PATLive. PATLive’s team of superstar receptionists will always leave your customers delighted. Every agent goes through a rigorous training course before they can answer calls, and we’ve got quality assurance down to an art.
Learn more by visiting PATLive.com/biggerpockets!
In This Episode We Cover:
- Who Bill is (and why he’s hung out with Oprah)
- Why he built an orphanage
- How his plans transitioned to real estate
- Thoughts on investing while nearing retirement
- The risk profiles for various ages
- How he focuses on family and not just the money
- How to reach your freedom number
- How he and his family got onto Oprah
- What exactly a turnkey property is — and Bill’s turnkey story
- A few red flags when it comes to turnkeys
- His goal of reaching 1,000 units
- How he finds properties
- The struggles of reaching his goal, from finding funds to working with the right people
- How he maintains the property
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Videos
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- Child Hope International
- BP Podcast 115: Getting Started with Apartment Complex Investing with Jeff Greenberg
- BP Podcast 151: Finding Your “Freedom Number” with Clayton Morris
- Desperate for Tenants in Memphis [Forum Post]
- BP Podcast 190: Building 61 Different Passive Streams of Income with Pat Hiban
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Calculators
- TEDx Talk by Robert Kiyosaki [Video]
- 021: Buying Properties with Little or No Money Down with Brandon Turner [Podcast]
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The Ultimate Beginner’s Guide to Real Estate Investing by BiggerPockets
- The ABCs of Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy
- The Book on Investing with No or Low Money Down by Brandon Turner
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- The 4-Hour Workweek by Timothy Ferriss
- “I got tired of working for these other folks, so I decided to become an entrepreneur.” (Tweet This!)
- “I want to be able to go where I need to go.” (Tweet This!)
- “You gotta get in there and get your hands dirty, and that’s where the learning really starts.” (Tweet This!)
Connect with Bill