Today on the BiggerPockets Podcast, you’ll hear from Chris Gill, a real estate investor in the San Antonio market who has only been investing for three years but has already done over 30 deals — mostly fix and flips. On this episode, we walk through Chris’s unique journey, including his initial four-plex rental property and his path toward flipping “the worst houses in the area.” And don’t miss Chris’s fantastic tip for finding deals that no one on the BiggerPockets Podcast has mentioned yet!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com
Fire Round Sponsor
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
In This Episode We Cover:
- How he transitioned from film to real estate
- Whether or not you should get your real estate license
- What Chris’s first deal looked like
- The things he wished he knew before he started investing
- Why properly screening tenants is vital
- Tips for creating a great team
- How he manages his properties
- How he does his bookkeeping
- Tips for transitioning to house flipping
- His criteria for finding deals
- How he estimates his rehabs
- Tips for evaluating a house to rehab
- How he funds his deals
- What he’s doing on the development side of real estate
- What’s unique about the San Antonio market
- How to find the sweet spot between too much and too little improvement
- What his end game looks like
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Rich Dad’s Advisors: The Advanced Guide to Real Estate Investing by Ken McElroy
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- The Book on Flipping Houses by J. Scott
- The Everything Store: Jeff Bezos and the Age of Amazon By Brad Stone
- The Snowball: Warren Buffett and the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder
- “If you want scalability, if you want to go anywhere else, you have to find something that allows you that.” (Tweet This!)
- “Just because you’re not good at something does not mean it’s not important.” (Tweet This!)
- “Be aware of overanalyzing stuff because that will happen forever if you allow it.” (Tweet This!)
- “Becoming comfortable with the unknown is huge, and I think in real estate that’s absolutely the case.” (Tweet This!)
Connect with Chris
- Chris’s BiggerPockets Profile
- Chris’s Facebook Page
- Chris’s Instagram Profile
- Chris’s Twitter Profile
- Chris’s Youtube Channel
- Snapchat: ChrisFGill
- Chris’s message to BP community