Some investors buy a single house. Some buy a small multifamily. But today on The BiggerPockets Podcast, we sit down with someone who jumped into real estate in a much bigger way! Joel Sherlock is an investor from Canada who put together a $30 million dollar fund to buy real estate in America. You’ll learn why he went this route and how you can follow a similar strategy in your own business. You’ll also learn about Joel’s entrance into the world of commercial real estate, including the pros and cons of that niche.
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
We just wanted to give a shout out to our podcast sponsor on today’s show: RealtyShares. RealtyShares is a crowdfunding platform that allows you to invest in professionally managed properties without leaving your living room!
Learn more by visiting RealtyShares.com/biggerpockets!
Fire Round Sponsor
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com
In This Episode We Cover:
- How Joel started real estate back in college
- Why he eventually moved his investing in Canada to America
- How he was able to come up with $32 million in funds
- What a “hurdle rate” is
- Why he considers his model to be conservative
- The kind of properties he’s buying
- Why he chose Scottsdale
- Innovative strategies for finding deals
- How he “trades deals“
- How to get fixed-priced bids from contractors
- Why he’s made the move to commercial real estate
- Why people avoid commercial real estate
- How to evaluate strip malls
- Tips for analyzing commercial deals
- Future plans for his business
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- We are hiring!
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BP Podcast 047: Apartment Complexes, NNN Leases, and Commercial Real Estate with Joel Owens
Books Mentioned in this Show
- The Millionaire Real Estate Agent by Gary Keller
- Shift by Gary Keller
- Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
- The Saint, the Surfer, and the CEO by Robin Sharma
- “It’s exactly the same thing, there is just more zeroes.” (Tweet This!)
- “In the real estate sales world, as soon as you stop selling, you stop stop making money.” (Tweet This!)
- “Getting started is the key. You don’t have to be great to start but you have to start to be great.” (Tweet This!)
Connect with Joel