A lot of people want to invest in rental properties, but a lot of people also fail when they jump in. Why? That’s the topic on today’s episode of the BiggerPockets Podcast, where we sit down with Tim Shiner to learn his story of going from zero to over 150 units and the lessons he picked up along the way. You’ll hear some incredible strategies for getting unicorn deals when there are multiple offers, the #1 most important characteristic Tim looks for when buying a property, and why he focuses primarily on “higher end” rental houses. You’ll love all the humor, wisdom, and knowledge Tim brings to the show, so sit down, relax, and be prepared to learn!
Click here to listen on iTunes.
Listen to the Podcast Here
Watch the Podcast Here
Help Us Out!
Help us reach new listeners on iTunes by leaving us a rating and review! It takes just 30 seconds and instructions can be found here. Thanks! We really appreciate it!
This Show Sponsored By
Check out SimpliSafe Security’s DIY home security systems; an affordable, wireless, cellular, and customizable system that doesn’t require a contract!
Try it today with a discount: simplisafepockets.com
Fire Round Sponsor
I’m sure many of you have seen explosive growth in residential solar installations. Similar to residential, small and medium sized businesses want to go solar. However, financing for commercial solar isn’t available to businesses unless they have investment grade credit.
Today’s sponsor, Wunder Capital, is helping to solve that problem by financing solar for SMBs. Learn how you can begin earning up to 11% returns at wundercapital.com/bp.
In This Episode We Cover:
- How he got started buying quality real estate
- What makes his location special
- Why he doesn’t have a real estate license
- The importance of looking at the “horizon” and the end goal
- A discussion on diversification on investments
- The story of the “big white card board“
- Why you should focus on what you are better at
- Tips for finding mentors
- The details on his 140 deals
- Insight into the debate on high-end vs. low-end properties
- Why he loves appreciation
- Tips for partnering with your significant other
- A discussion on buying your kid a property
- How he finds deals
- Why you should set a goal, achieve it, and reward yourself
- And SO much more!
Links from the Show
- BiggerPockets Forums
- BiggerPockets Webinar
- Be a Guest to the Show
- School of Life Podcast
Books Mentioned in this Show
- Elon Musk by Ashlee Vance
- Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki
- Rich Dad’s CASHFLOW Quadrant by Robert Kiyosaki
- The 10X Rule by Grant Cardone
- 50 Things They Didn’t Teach You in School by Tim Shiner
- “Nobody cares as much about your investments as much as you do.” (Tweet This!)
- “The goal is to get as many checks coming in the mail as possibly as you can.” (Tweet This!)
- “If you have a strong enough ‘why’ while you invest, that will plow your way.” (Tweet This!)
- “Set a goal, achieve it, and reward yourself.” (Tweet This!)
Connect with Tim