!!!Craigslist Scam!!! Protect your listings!

!!!Craigslist Scam!!! Protect your listings!

Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes

You may already be aware of this, but it was news to me so I'm sharing:

Apparently, the latest real estate scam on CL is where the scammer gleans your info from CL, or I suppose they could from any source on the internet (realtor.com, etc.) and post the info as their own.

For example: you place a house for sale. Scammer takes all your info and lists your house for rent at a VERY enticing rate on CL. Scammer also lists your property on other internet sources (again, reator.com, etc.). Scammer corresponds with prospective leasees by email, collects deposits and first months rent via online payment in return for keys in the mail. Scammed leasee shows up at your property ready to move in and very pissed at you thinking YOU scammed them.

Apparently, this is happening to people who have their houses listed for sale and are still living in them, too. Can you imagin? Somebody showing up at your house with a U-Haul truck ready to move in on Saturday morning?

I don't know how to prevent this from happening. Ultimately, the folks who paid their money over the internet are the ones who get burned, but you, as the property owner, could get wrapped up in some messy stuff if caught off gaurd by such a scenario.

If you have a vacant unit that gets scammed, you might end up with tenants who cralwed through the window to let themselves in who didn't get their key in the mail yet. This could happen to you if you have property of sale or for lease.

Has anybody else heard of this scam and/or know of ways to gaurd against it? All I can think is to leave the address unlisted, but if you go to realtor.com, the address is always listed...

3Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
14y

I would place a watermark on your images that you post. This wont stop them from just stealing the address, but hopefully when people drive up they will notice it isn't the same house.

Stolen from google images:

Sure its possible to photoshop it out, but there is much easier pickins out there and I imagine that is enough to deter 99% of the scammers.

you can make the water mark the date of listing, your email, phone, company name ect. anything you can use to make someone move on to the next easier listing.

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Property Manager · Dublin, OH · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 291 votes
    14y

    Good to know Brian Hoyt. Thank you.

    -Uwe

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y
  • Developer · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2011 · 12 posts · 1 vote
    14y

    Brian,

    Unfortunately this is what Craigslist has become; a portal for scammers and imitators. It's sad.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Lansing, MI · Member since 2011 · 356 posts · 306 votes
    14y

    I had this happen last year when I had a rehab for sale and someone posted it for rent, and someone sent them money over seas. I generally check the ads daily when I have something for rent or for sale, just to be sure.

    It sucks.

  • Investor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 450 votes
    14y
  • Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 673 posts · 360 votes
    14y

    I would place a watermark on your images that you post. This wont stop them from just stealing the address, but hopefully when people drive up they will notice it isn't the same house.

    Stolen from google images:

    Sure its possible to photoshop it out, but there is much easier pickins out there and I imagine that is enough to deter 99% of the scammers.

    you can make the water mark the date of listing, your email, phone, company name ect. anything you can use to make someone move on to the next easier listing.

  • Altus, OK · Member since 2008 · 2k+ posts · 690 votes
    14y

    The only thing I can think of is try not to post too much info about the property and those who are interested in it need to contact you personally if they want to know about the property.

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y
    Originally posted by James Hiddle:
    The only thing I can think of is try not to post too much info about the property and those who are interested in it need to contact you personally if they want to know about the property.

    If you read some of those other threads I posted, you'll see that there are some who WERE actually personally contacted ...

    The scams are a reality, and unfortunately it is difficult to protect the naive from them. I've had a few inquiries on my vacants from prospective tenants who actually mentioned that there were some scams they encountered from Craig's List.

  • Real Estate Investor · Fruita, CO · Member since 2010 · 3 posts · 0 votes
    14y

    I was doing research for the going rent around my area and found a few that stuck out because the rent was dirt cheap compared to all the rest, so i contacted them about the property and everyone replied with the same story that their job with the oilfield took them to Africa and they were desperate to rent their place. O yeah they all used faith talk in the reply God bless.

  • Wholesaler · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 42 posts · 2 votes
    14y

    Wow...how unfortunate. Some people's morals are soo...

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    14y

    Old scam. Worst was con man in Dallas posed as owner of 12 houses, set up phoney title company, and bilked half a dozen lenders out of $4 million in loans secured by these properties he didn't own! Crazy part was he made the payments on all the loans for two years! All the lenders then foreclosed and were suprised to learn they never had a lien on the property.

    I read the con has plea bargained for a 10 year sentence.

    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
  • Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
    14y

    I just went through this BS. Scammer posted on CL three different times. They used my pics and part of my description. I say they because a both a man and a woman were involved. We had it posted on CL for $1500 and they posted at $800, $750 and $900 with deposits of $500 or $600. They even sent people to look at the outside of the house. This is where they messed up, however, because the sign in front of the house had my number. No less than 5 different people called me. Two couples were so deeply convinced they did not want to believe me. These people were ready to send their money western union for the promise of keys via ups. One guy even challenged me. I reported the ads to the IC3 and printed out the ads so we could report it to local law enforcement. Not that the police would do anything about it, but to have documentation in case a bogus lease materialized. We're changing our residential leases to those used by the Texas Apartment Association for several reasons. I hadn't thought about it when the decision was made, but having the property registered with the local apartment association and using their serialized leases will also help with potential squatters that produce bogus leases.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.