Skip to content
Real Estate News & Current Events

User Stats

Votes
James H.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
!!!Craigslist Scam!!! Protect your listings!

James H.
  • Investor
  • Fort Worth, TX
Posted Apr 12 2012, 12:08

You may already be aware of this, but it was news to me so I'm sharing:

Apparently, the latest real estate scam on CL is where the scammer gleans your info from CL, or I suppose they could from any source on the internet (realtor.com, etc.) and post the info as their own.

For example: you place a house for sale. Scammer takes all your info and lists your house for rent at a VERY enticing rate on CL. Scammer also lists your property on other internet sources (again, reator.com, etc.). Scammer corresponds with prospective leasees by email, collects deposits and first months rent via online payment in return for keys in the mail. Scammed leasee shows up at your property ready to move in and very pissed at you thinking YOU scammed them.

Apparently, this is happening to people who have their houses listed for sale and are still living in them, too. Can you imagin? Somebody showing up at your house with a U-Haul truck ready to move in on Saturday morning?

I don't know how to prevent this from happening. Ultimately, the folks who paid their money over the internet are the ones who get burned, but you, as the property owner, could get wrapped up in some messy stuff if caught off gaurd by such a scenario.

If you have a vacant unit that gets scammed, you might end up with tenants who cralwed through the window to let themselves in who didn't get their key in the mail yet. This could happen to you if you have property of sale or for lease.

Has anybody else heard of this scam and/or know of ways to gaurd against it? All I can think is to leave the address unlisted, but if you go to realtor.com, the address is always listed...

Loading replies...