The 8 Things I Want Every Tenant to Know

by Kevin Perk on July 21, 2014 · 21 comments

The 8 Things I Want Every Tenant to Know

Tenants come with differing backgrounds and life experiences.

Some have been renters for years and know the drill. For others, it may be the first time away from mom and dad and out on their own. No matter what their renting experience may be, here are some things that I want every tenant to know.

1. You Need Renter’s Insurance

Tenants should understand that bad things happen and that the landord’s insurance policy will not cover their loses. Renter’s insurance is cheap and well worth the money.

Related: Should You Put Your Rental Properties in an LLC?

2. I Have Bills To Pay Too

The way I pay those bills is with the rent you pay me. I have heard all of your sob stories and unfortunately there is nothing I can say to the bank that will get them to cut me a break. So I am sorry if I seem like a hard ass, but your rent is due when your rent is due.

3. I am Not Going To Try and take Advantage of You

It is not in my best interest to do so. I want a long and uneventful landlord/tenant relationship because turnover kills my bottom line. I will not get that if I am constantly trying to get one over on you. If you treat me and my property with respect I will do the same to you.

4. Do Not Wait Until the Last Minute to Tell Me Something Needs to be Repaired

My repair people like to have weeks-ends off as well. If you wait until Friday afternoon to tell me your air conditioning is out, guess what you are not likely to have this week-end.

5. I will Fix Things, So Please Call Me!

It is in my best interest to fix things and keep my property maintained. Little repairs if left alone will eventually add up to big repairs and big money. I don’t like to spend big money.   So call me about the little things. I will repair them.

6. Your Neighbors Do Not Like Your Loud Music Either

Remember when you complained to me about your neighbor’s loud music? It is a two way street.

Related: What are Your House Rules?

7. Some Problems Are Just Hard to Fix

They take time and thus may not get repaired right away. We may have to wait on a part. We may have to diagnose and trouble shoot for a few days. It may seem like we are doing nothing, but we really are trying to fix the problem. Be patient.

8. Mess Leads To More Mess

Those bugs you called to complain about, well I went by to take a look and noticed the overflowing trash can and pile of dirty dishes in the sink. Let’s try cleaning that up first and then we will talk about the bug problem.

Like I said, tenants come with a myriad of experiences behind them. Some are timid and shy and don’t want to make a fuss. Others have been screwed by a previous landlord. Some have just never been out in the real world and not had mommy to clean up after them. As a landlord, you will run across all kinds. No matter what kind you rent to, make sure they get the above list.

So what is on your list?

Be sure to leave your comments below!

Matt Swartzendruber July 21, 2014 at 7:57 am

This is a good common sense list. Most of us forget common sense from time to time (myself included). It’s good to be reminded!

Thanks!

Kevin Perk July 21, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Thanks Matt!

Kevin

Alex Craig July 21, 2014 at 9:20 am

9. We know you really do not have asthma or a heart condition when you call in your AC being broken. (At least we do, because medical conditions are on our applications).

Kevin Perk July 21, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Alex,

I have heard that routine as well.

We just say it will get fixed as soon as we can. And honestly, that is the truth.

Thanks for reading and commenting,

Kevin

Paul Ewing August 2, 2014 at 8:01 pm

I had that pulled on me by a previous tenant. Funny how the first time I heard about the furnace not working properly was when they presented me with a letter telling me they were breaking their lease because the husband’s medical condition was impacted by the faulty furnace. I got the letter the day after I had taped the 3 day notice to pay or quit on their door because they refused to answer the door. I had the HVAC guy in the next day and two of the four heat coils were bad and replaced and kept their security deposit that covered most of the rent as they left. I don’t want to deal with that type of people. The woman that replaced them is happy and overall not psycho like that couple seemed to be going towards the end after she lost here third job in four months.

Jonna Weber July 21, 2014 at 10:38 am

4. rings so true. It seems 90% percent of my maintenence requests come on Friday nights or Saturday mornings. Great reminder for me to continue working on communicating set business hours for non emergency issues.

Kevin Perk July 21, 2014 at 9:57 pm

Jonna,

Yes! Set those business hours and stick to them. If you answer the phone on Saturday then guess when they will call you.

Be sure you point out your hours upfront. And then say them again.

Thanks for reading and commenting,

Kevin

Eric July 21, 2014 at 6:14 pm

And do not forget, if your friends come over and cause trouble, it is the same as you causing trouble. You can be asked to leave based on your friends actions…

Kevin Perk July 21, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Eric,

That is a good one.

Nine things I want every tenant to know. :)

Thanks for reading and taking the time to add to the list,

Kevin

Ashley July 21, 2014 at 9:29 pm

This hits very close to home. I’ve been hit with a few excuses from my renters that have completely blown my mind…

Like the ‘we tried to fix it, but couldn’t and are surprised you’re charging us for the additional damage’ (sprinkler head leaking for weeks without notification, causing a sq yard of the grass to rot)

Or the ‘your washer and dryer broke, so we didn’t call you, we just bought new ones and threw yours out—but can’t understand why you’re charging us’ (ummm cuz you threw away my property)

I like Brandon Turner’s advice in his posts— don’t let the renters know you are in fact the owner also. That way they don’t think they can sweet talk you, and there is always someone else to direct any ‘negative’ feedback towards. My renters probably would be a lot less inclined to take advantage of me had they not known I was the owner!!!

Kevin Perk July 28, 2014 at 9:58 pm

Ashley,

I have to disagree with you a bit. We have always let it be known that we are the owners (they realize it sooner or later anyway). We find that our tenants like the fact that they are dealing with a local, hands on owner. It seems to be a benefit to us.

I do however completely understand your position.

Thanks for reading and for sharing your experiences,

Kevin

Kevin McNeill July 24, 2014 at 12:05 pm

How do you ensure that each tenant knows these common sense things? Did you write them up and then go over them at lease signing? Or maybe post this list on their refrigerator before they move in?

Kevin Perk July 28, 2014 at 10:00 pm

Kevin,

Yes. :) We actually have refrigerator magnets with our contact info on it.

Thanks for reading and for the questions,

Kevin

Boston apartments July 25, 2014 at 1:46 pm

I would let the tenants know this before the lease signing. Knowledge is power!!!

Kevin Perk July 28, 2014 at 10:00 pm

We do!

Thanks for taking the time to read and comment,

Kevin

Roberto July 25, 2014 at 2:05 pm

10. Show the location and teach them how the main shut-off water valve works

Kevin Perk July 28, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Roberto,

That is a good one and we do that as well.

Remember everyone, your tenant is your “first responder” and if they know how to turn off the gas, electric and water they can potentially save you big bucks and much hassle.

Show them how to do it at move it!

Thanks for reading and for sharing such a good point,

Kevin

Kimberly H. July 26, 2014 at 11:43 am

Good list and comments!

Kevin Perk July 28, 2014 at 10:03 pm

Thanks Kimberly!

Shaun July 27, 2014 at 1:24 pm

I like #6.
People that complain about people that are exactly like them annoys the heck out of me.
Anyone, not just tenants, it is just tenants seem to be afflicted with this more than most people I come across. :)

Kevin Perk July 28, 2014 at 10:08 pm

Shaun,

Sometimes people just do not realize that they are being loud or acting uncool. No one has ever told them they are doing so. So it is up to us to help them understand how to live in an apartment community. :)

Thanks for reading and the comment,

Kevin