Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Enrique Laguna
Votes |
How is the Columbus Ohio market? Short term rentals

Enrique Laguna
Posted Mar 4 2023, 16:07

Looking to expand my portfolio across the country and really want a short term rental in Columbus. If anyone could tel me what the market is like out there and where are the best areas (most recommend) to buy a sort term rental property 

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan Styer
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 4 2023, 16:36

There are some central areas that have high saturation. I've had success going outside of 270 where you have less competition. I have worked with a few clients who are planning on riding the Intel train and investing in the NE area for STR while they still can.

User Stats

Votes
Enrique Laguna
Votes |
Replied Mar 4 2023, 16:37

Hello Jonathan, thank you for your reply. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Enrique Laguna
Votes |
Replied Mar 4 2023, 16:47

Jonathan I would love to have a quick talk with you when you get a chance, sometime next week works for me. My number is  (442) 297-0328 I really want to see if I can get a property out there by this time next year. 

User Stats

Votes
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Eliott Elias#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Investor
  • Austin, TX
Replied Mar 4 2023, 19:07

STR is in less demand across the board, you should not look for property with the intention of making it a STR. STR should be a strategy utilized to cash flow or break even on expensive property.

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 5 2023, 11:38

Columbus is a great market to invest into, and is hot with short term rentals! I work with quite a few clients here who specialize in STRs and they are definitely killing it right now. As long as you buy in optimal areas for STRs and run good deal #s, you should definitely do well here

User Stats

Votes
Enrique Laguna
Votes |
Replied Mar 5 2023, 12:28

Hello Jimmy, thank you for your input, I am likely going to get in that market by the end of the year if not sooner. Any and all advice or suggestions are welcome. 

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 6 2023, 06:23
Quote from @Enrique Laguna:

Looking to expand my portfolio across the country and really want a short term rental in Columbus. If anyone could tel me what the market is like out there and where are the best areas (most recommend) to buy a sort term rental property 

I have 11 airbnbs in Columbus, Ohio. They are north of the university. They do well

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Harrison Chow
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 6 2023, 07:09

Hey Enrique! As a resident and investor in Columbus, I can attest to the fact that investing in the suburbs here is a wise choice. It is a thriving city that is attracting several major companies, which will bring in thousands of job opportunities in the next few months and years. This, in turn, is driving population growth, with an annual increase of 0.75%. Employment growth is also on the rise, with a yearly increase of 3.58%. Rent prices in Columbus have also gone up by 6% each year. Let me know how I can help and would be happy to chat more with you regarding the subject!

User Stats

Votes
Replied Mar 6 2023, 07:18

A quick search of Columbus Airbnb Market Data brought up this page, looks like it has everything you might need to analyze the market.

ROI+5%
Revenue$14k
Avg Airbnb price$369k
Market sizeLarge
Number of Airbnbs2,445
ADR$112
Occupancy58%

User Stats

Votes
Jody Jubach
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lancaster, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Lancaster, OH
Replied Mar 6 2023, 07:55

Hi Enrique,

I specialize in the Hocking Hills area which is about an hour outside of Columbus and is a popular tourist destination (5 million visitors per year) and very short-term rental friendly. Would be happy to set up a time to speak with you! 614-746-0915

User Stats

Votes
Patrick Drury
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH & Cleveland OH
Replied Mar 6 2023, 08:34

@Enrique Laguna
I have a client that has done really well with STR in the short north close to high st. I know a lot of other people do well in Southern Orchards close to the hospital as well as the campus area.

Reafco- Logo

User Stats

Votes
Enrique Laguna
Votes |
Replied Mar 6 2023, 09:32

Hello Jody,

Thank you for reaching out, as I have mentioned in a couple other posts, I’m still active duty military, and will be retiring in October of this year. I am using this time to simply build up my net work, so that I can expand on my one rental property that I already have in North Carolina. I also want to use this time to improve my credit score since it is not in a very impressive place right now. I would like to keep the communication line open so that once I’m ready I can get in contact with you and start working on this Ohio property. Thanks again and I look forward to working with you

User Stats

Votes
Daniel Judge
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 6 2023, 17:05

Hello Jody,

Thank you for reaching out, as I have mentioned in a couple other posts, I’m still active duty military, and will be retiring in October of this year. I am using this time to simply build up my net work, so that I can expand on my one rental property that I already have in North Carolina. I also want to use this time to improve my credit score since it is not in a very impressive place right now. I would like to keep the communication line open so that once I’m ready I can get in contact with you and start working on this Ohio property. Thanks again and I look forward to working with you

@Enrique Laguna I can highly recommend working with Jody from personal experience! Highly connected in that market and fantastic to work with. She can answer all your questions about that market, but also happy to help if you want to send any my way. 

User Stats

Votes
Alfath Ahmed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 7 2023, 07:49

I have great recommendations for another member in my brokerage who manages over a 100+ airbnb's. I could definitely connect you with him. Let me know if that interests you. 

User Stats

Votes
Enrique Laguna
Votes |
Replied Mar 8 2023, 10:15

I am always interested in meeting new people and learnig more. like I mentioned I am still active duty and I am simply tryin to build a network for my realestate investing venture post retirement at the end of this year. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Murray
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Saint John N.B
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Property Manager
  • Saint John N.B
Replied Jan 13 2024, 04:55

Good Morning, Is everyone still feeling the STR market is pretty strong here or is long term rental the way to go for a single family house. Looking at the housing pricing it seems very attractive at first glance.

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Cain Humphrey
  • Investor
  • Kentucky
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kentucky
Replied Jan 13 2024, 07:39
Quote from @Remington Lyman:

I have 11 airbnbs in Columbus, Ohio. They are north of the university. They do well

any certain suburbs / areas you recommend within the north area?

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 13 2024, 10:22
Quote from @Zachary Cain Humphrey:
Quote from @Remington Lyman:

any certain suburbs / areas you recommend within the north area?

Any of them

• Real Estate Agent Ohio (#2019003078)

Reafco Logo

User Stats

Votes
Jason Allen
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
  • Attorney
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jan 25 2024, 07:00

As mentioned above, the campus area would be the best area to do a short term rental in Columbus. 

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Melloul
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Mar 19 2024, 08:28

Enrique- I have an AirBnb just south of Columbus in the Hocking Hills region. AirDna ranked it as their #3 best STR market in the Country. With and average occupancy ranging around 60% (depends on your product) the earning potential is high. You can maximize you CoC return if you go just south of the Logan area.