Skip to content
Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions

User Stats

Votes
Mike Calvey
  • Agent Sales Manager at BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
How Are Savvy STR Hosts Using Automation to Transform Their Businesses?

Mike Calvey
  • Agent Sales Manager at BiggerPockets
  • Denver, CO
Posted May 1 2024, 20:42

As someone who manages short-term rentals, I've started using automation to help run things better. It's supposed to save a lot of time and make things less stressful.

Have any of you tried using automation in your rental business? If you have, how has it changed the way you work and how your guests feel?

I'm eager to know what parts of your business you've automated, which tools work best for you, and how it's made things better for your business.

Let's get into it:

1. What kind of automation have you used in your rentals?
  2. How has automation made your business better and improved your guests' stays?
  3. Do you have any advice for people who want to start using automation but don't know how to begin?

User Stats

Votes
Michael Baum
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Olympia, WA
Replied May 1 2024, 22:12

Hey @Mike Calvey, there are many folks on here that are automated. I am not one of those.

I do personal communications with all the guests and they have my cell so they can call or text.

It isn't because I don't want to but I just don't need to. I use the built in stuff but that is it.

User Stats

Votes
Trent Reeve
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Votes |
  • New to Real Estate
  • Atlanta
Replied May 2 2024, 04:31

the thing about automation, you can slowly add what you are comfortable with. I use a Ownerrez to help concentrate messages and connections. Then i connect it to my locks so that when guests check in, the door code is set to their phone number and it is set automatically. I dont have to worry about if i set it for them or not. It turns it on an hour before they get there and turns it off an hour after their reservation. Zero intervention from me. I also have automated emails that go out to the client. a week before, they get one with area information on food and entertainment, then they get one with check-in information. They get another a day after check-in to make sure everything is as expected and going well, another the day before checkout with the instructions and "asking" them to review the property. There are more automation options, but those things help save me a lot of time.

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
John Underwood
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Investor
  • Greer, SC
Replied May 2 2024, 05:38

I'm am in same boat as Michael.

I use the built in tools to do everything I need with minimal effort to run the business.  If it ain't broke...

User Stats

Votes
Dan Thomas
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Bow, NH
Votes |
  • Bow, NH
Replied May 2 2024, 06:01

@Mike Calvey

Agree with the other guys here.. I started trying to automate a couple years ago when I bought my first STR. I QUICKLY found that my guests who are working class New Englanders barely wanted to use Air or VRBO let alone talk to a bot or get automated messages. They wanted human interaction. As I learned that I also learned how to set up business processes that allowed me to very quickly do the manual work required in running a str business easily and for free.

I get lazy with automation. I just let it do its thing and don't pay attention to the glitches in communication, or where the money is going. I am much more in tune with my business doing these things myself. I catch over payments or missed payments, I give better responses, etc.

My guests in my market want to talk to a person, and the person who owns the property at that. Not some bot, or co host, or pm company who hasn't set foot on the property or who knows which restaurant has the coldest beer.

User Stats

Votes
Nicolas Morales
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • USA
Votes |
Property Manager
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • USA
Replied May 2 2024, 12:07

Hey everyone,

I've been diving into the world of automation for my rental business, using ENZO to handle door lock codes and streamline communication with guests. It's been a game-changer, allowing us to respond faster to inquiries and provide clearer instructions and local recommendations for our guests.

Automation has truly transformed our business, making it more efficient and improving the overall guest experience by leaps and bounds. Guests appreciate the quick responses and the detailed information they receive, which sets a positive tone for their stay right from the start.

For those looking to implement automation but unsure where to start, my advice is to begin by centralizing your guest data using a reliable software platform. This ensures you have accurate information at your fingertips. Also, walk through the guest journey yourself—think about what information you would want and what would enhance your experience if you were staying at the property.

Embracing automation has not only saved us time but has elevated our rental business to new heights. I'm excited to hear about your experiences and any tips you might have on this topic.

Let's continue sharing and learning together!

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 2 2024, 13:41

Would love to learn about pain points from other property managers.

So I have a career background working in software and am currently applying simply builds to common monthly tasks such as sending, receiving, and logging payments for rents. The current build can also be applied to other payment pain points such as RUBs and maintenance. 

Commonly automation works best on manual, repetitive workflows, especially if you have multiple properties or units that needs to be tracked. 

For short-term rentals, I would follow the Airbnb workflow model as they have it nailed down, but would also love to learn what others have been using or working through.

User Stats

Votes
Sarah Kensinger
Pro Member
#5 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Votes |
Pro Member
#5 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Ohio
Replied May 2 2024, 18:59

Those that have more than one or two rentals and have created a company automate everything but still give it that personal touch. Because we do automate, automate, and automate some more, we have time to enjoy life and give guests the little extras. Otherwise hosting more than one property becomes a time suck! There's so many different software people can use, so that is mostly personal preference and just how much a host wants to automate. 

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Steffens
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Short-Term & Vacation Rental Discussions Contributor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied May 3 2024, 08:07

We are a mix.  We have automations that send out the standard booking confirmations, the guest app instructions, etc but we also have 24 hour communications answered by a human.  Many people expect a hotel experience when renting, and although we will never be able to deliver that, I think having some human interaction is the minimum for most people.

User Stats

Votes
Cody Zucker
Pro Member
  • Belmar, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Belmar, NJ
Replied May 5 2024, 07:15
Quote from @Trent Reeve:

the thing about automation, you can slowly add what you are comfortable with. I use a Ownerrez to help concentrate messages and connections. Then i connect it to my locks so that when guests check in, the door code is set to their phone number and it is set automatically. I dont have to worry about if i set it for them or not. It turns it on an hour before they get there and turns it off an hour after their reservation. Zero intervention from me. I also have automated emails that go out to the client. a week before, they get one with area information on food and entertainment, then they get one with check-in information. They get another a day after check-in to make sure everything is as expected and going well, another the day before checkout with the instructions and "asking" them to review the property. There are more automation options, but those things help save me a lot of time.

This is pretty much what I use OwnerRez for though I am trying to learn a little more as I've heard there is some pretty advanced stuff!

User Stats

Votes
Cody Zucker
Pro Member
  • Belmar, NJ
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Belmar, NJ
Replied May 5 2024, 07:19
Quote from @Andrew Steffens:

We are a mix.  We have automations that send out the standard booking confirmations, the guest app instructions, etc but we also have 24 hour communications answered by a human.  Many people expect a hotel experience when renting, and although we will never be able to deliver that, I think having some human interaction is the minimum for most people.

I agree with this. Guest preferences and expectations have definitely went up over the last few years so I believe the personal touch is definitely important. I think a daily allocation of 15-30 minutes for thoughtful communication on top of automations is probably a good starting point.

An example that comes to mind is modifying an automated message going out for something personal that the guest shared with you in their communication so it has a warmer touch but the bulk of the lifting is still the base guest messaging.

User Stats

Votes
Annie Seurer
  • Contractor
  • Nationwide
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • Nationwide
Replied May 7 2024, 04:37

As some have already mentioned, a blend of automation and personal interaction appears to be the key. Utilize a combination of both to maintain that truly personal touch. Automate confirmations and standard messaging using a robust CRM system and communication platforms. However, ensure to personally reach out to every guest 24-48 hours after booking. Introduce yourself, inquire if they have any questions regarding their reservation or the property, gather information about their stay, and inform them of any pertinent details. This simple touch sets you and the guest up for success! Also, respond to every inquiry in a timely fashion. Employing this approach, the fund I previously worked for achieved a 4.93 rating.

User Stats

Votes
Mindy Nicol
  • Realtor
  • St Augustine, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • St Augustine, FL
Replied May 7 2024, 15:51

Hi Mike - I have automated messaging for several points throughout the guest pre arrival and arrival and check out process, however I supplement that with my own messaging such as asking about restaurants or if they want to stay an extra night. I use Lodgify for managing the messaging on my rentals.  For pricing I use Pricelabs dynamic pricing however I often override it and play with it each day to optimize.  It is interesting to see what they come up with. So I would say these tools are definitely worthwhile help guide you but you still need to be hands on to truly optimize your business.

Mindy

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Peter Stewart
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied May 8 2024, 06:04

Automation is KEY to self managing STR's. I have been doing it for several years and continually get 5 star reviews for my properties.

95% of my business is automated. 

I use Hospitable to manage my calendars (Airbnb, VRBO) and for guest communication. I tweaked all their automatic emails slightly to match my style and specific info I wanted to share with guests. I only have to jump in when there is a specific question or issue from a guest. 

I use ResortCleaning to automate things with my cleaners. I have 0 communication with them unless there is a problem (guest complaining about something). 

I use Pricelabs to automate the dynamic pricing.

I use a digital guidebook to provide all the information about the property and the specific units to my guests to minimize questions from them.

I push all guests to communicate via the Airbnb/VRBO apps, to minimize disruptions on my personal cell phone or email. 

All of this allows me to manage the properties remotely with minimal time spent. And, I have no guest issues in regards to communication - in fact, I get compliments all the time about how responsive I am, they thank me for checking in on them, etc. (all automated emails for the most part). 

I maintain my Superhost status on Airbnb every year and the properties consistently get 5 star reviews, and my places stay booked.

So, for me, automation has been critical to my success. 

Peter Stewart Realty Logo

User Stats

Votes
Replied May 8 2024, 10:30

I find that automatically sending a message to your new guests is very useful, you get to start a conversation right away and it increases the guest's experience.

I also automate all my cleaning jobs with Turno that I find invaluable. I barely communicate with my staff because everything is automated and I also found a backup cleaner on their marketplace. If I want to check what they've been doing I can see the photos they've taken, check my inventory or see how long they spent.

User Stats

Votes
Gregory Schwartz
  • College Station, TX
Votes |
  • College Station, TX
Replied May 9 2024, 04:04

The best move we made was a shift to a midterm / short-term hybrid model. 

The tool we implemented was Price Labs which has a feature that allows you to adjust minimum stays based on how far advanced a guest is booking. 

Guest booking more than 14 days: 30 day minimum stay (45% discount to book 30 days or more)

Guest booking 14 days or fewer: 1 day minimum stay

This books our midterm stays first then fills in gaps with short term stays. The process is automated and we don't think about it. 

The results have been higher occupancy, a huge reduction in check ins / turns, way less work on our part, and only a slight drop in net profit. Fewer turns mean fewer expenses. Oh, and 30+ day stays result in NO hospitality taxes!!!

The Prius of investing is the sexiest thing on the road but damn is it practical.