BiggerPockets

Purchasing an HOA Foreclosure

Forum Powered By:

5 posts by 4 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Patrick Patel

Orlando, Florida

Apr 17 '12, 05:07 PM

Hey guys, first time poster here!

I am somewhat new to REI, but completely new to HOA Foreclosures..
Just wanted your ideas, opinions, and to confirm my thoughts and beliefs on this subject.

I am in Florida, and am wanting to get more involved in the REI market down here. What I want to clear up and am interested in learning more about is buying HOA foreclosures at auctions.

For example, I have in front of me a beautiful, newer house where the HOA has a lien on it and it is in foreclosure, with an auction price starting at about $6500.. which is the HOA fees, attorney fees, etc that is owed. If I pay and I win, I get title to the property, correct? - at least until the bank forecloses on the property (which could be 6 months, one year, 2, 3, 5 yrs, whatever). The home is valued at about $220,000, annual taxes are $6000.

Now.. while I have this title, I must continue to pay HOA fees due, BUT I can live in this home and/or rent it out, correct? Again, until bank forecloses.

Do i also have to pay the property taxes? Will my credit be affected once the bank forecloses? I don't think so because I am not the borrower, I just have the title and a lien on the property because of HOA dues.

Last question.. once the bank forecloses, is it true they reimburse or agree to purchase the title back from me?

Please clarify these thoughts or shed some light, opinions, etc.
Your input is greatly appreciated and oif anything I just want to learn more about the subject.

Thanks everyone!

Eric Michaels

Real Estate Lender from Chicago, Illinois

Apr 19 '12, 09:11 AM

@Patrick Patel, this strategy is so unethical and it wouldn't surprise me if it were ultimately found to be illegal in some way. (has anyone actually read all the documentation for these loans to see if something addresses this?)
There is no free ride. You may hear of people who are successfully doing it, but there have been lots of instances where people think they found a great scam to pull and then found out later it was really illegal or they somehow get burned when the jig is up. Just takes a while for the banks to get around to going after you.

When you buy the HOA lien, you are accepting legal responsibility for all the senior mortgage loans on that property. You are expected to pay them. If you purchase the junior lien with the intent to never pay the senior loan, I think it is very shady at the very least. I'd certainly never brag that I was doing it on a public board. It proves prior intent.

And yes, you have to pay the property taxes too because you own the property. In fact, it may shock you that you are supposed to pay all your obligations, not find gray loopholes to squirrel your way out of them.
What the heck is this country coming to?

Steve Babiak

Real Estate Investor from Audubon, Pennsylvania

Apr 19 '12, 09:30 AM

Originally posted by Eric Michaels:
Patrick Patel, this strategy is so unethical and it wouldn't surprise me if it were ultimately found to be illegal in some way. ... I think it is very shady at the very least. I'd certainly never brag that I was doing it on a public board. It proves prior intent.

What the heck is this country coming to?

Eric,

There have been a number of similar posts like this one recently. My suspicion is somebody in FL is peddling training or courseware on doing this exact thing - can't be sure since I'm not from there, but most of the posters asking about this seem to be from FL.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Steve Cantano

Henderson, Nevada

May 13 '12, 06:20 PM

What in the World would be unethical or illegal about this strategy? You will be the Titled owner and you will be responsible for the HOA and the Taxes on the property as the owner. The senior liens however are simply senior. If you do not pay them they will exercise their right to foreclosure. You did not sign the loan documents and you buy the property "Subject To" these liens. To suggest that it would be unethical to purchase the HOA without intent on satisfying the senior liens is simply old school thinking. No doubt if the borrower is not paying the HOA they will not paying the first mortgage and in this market of severely underwater homes that is their bond to break. As a buyer of the HOA it would be unlikely that the lender would release information to you that would allow you to do anything other than payoff the loan in full. If the home is underwater you would be crazy to do that. So To answer your question.. YES You will get title to the property! YES You will lose that ownership if you do not satisfy the senior mortgages which may take some time unless the bank acknowledges your ownership and works with you to negotiate the mortgage down and allow you to make a reasonable investment. You may rent the property, Live in the property Ect.. The Unethical thing that you could not do that may be considered illegal is if you in some way destroy or devalue the property since it is an asset to a senior lien holder and they may suffer as a direct result if you do any damage. Otherwise they foreclose on you or they foreclose on the borrower! Whats the difference? Borrowers have to pay their HOA I am not from Florida either but I believe most states allow the HOA to foreclose for non payment of dues most states give HOA's special foreclosure laws that are stronger than a simple lien in order to give the bank 1st priority otherwise an HOA is a document recorded prior to the first and would hold priority if they didn't sign it or legislate that position away. However the bank will not repurchase title from you after they foreclose. There would be no reason to they would wipe your interest out. They may however purchase ownership from you after you buy it and prior to foreclosing. That would make for cleaner title to the bank. There are auction sites like trionx.com that sell HOA properties. More & more HOA's are going the foreclosure route to enforce their assessments. That is why you are seeing more of this topic and more going to sale.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums