BiggerPockets

Friendly Competition

5 posts by 5 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Tony Thompson

Real Estate Investor from Kansas CIty, Missouri

Nov 20 '12, 12:53 PM

This is partially related to real estate, but more of a general business question.

I do photography for Google's Street View program, they now provide Streetview for the inside of businesses - this is what I do on the side, and its a lot of fun and I make decent money at it.

I have referred 3 of my friends to the program (anyone can join) because my attitude is that there is always plenty of opportunity out there, plus it is inevitable that other photographers will join the program in my area anyways.

With Google's program, you cannot photograph real estate for sale. I started researching ways to photograph virtual tours for real estate.

After a couple weeks of hard work and many sleepless nights, I found a great platform to provide virtual tours for real estate.

Tonight my 3 buddies and I are meeting on a G+ Hangout to discuss the future of the program and how it relates to us.

They will without a doubt, ask me how I am able to create and host virtual tours for real estate.

Since I have worked so hard on this, is it really fair for me to just tell them how to do it? Or am I worrying too much about competition?

This platform is pretty slick... it is compatible with all devices including iphone/ipad so I am pretty excited for it. There are very few virtual tours for listings in my area, so the opportunity is there. I just don't want to give away my hard work.

Thanks.

This post has been removed.

Ibrahim Hughes

Real Estate Investor from Union, New Jersey

Nov 20 '12, 03:42 PM

I'm leaning towards being somewhat vague and looking to get paid for my time and hard work. I'm a very charitable person but usually more so with regular citizens, family and charitable organizations.

With business professionals who are accustomed to paying for resources (information included) to make their business grow.......they have to pay.

Medium_webuynj_realestate_dotcom_2014Ibrahim Hughes, We Buy NJ Real Estate LLC
We Buy NJ Real Estate, LLC www.WeBuyNJRealEstate.com [email protected]

Rob K

Real Estate Investor from Michigan

Nov 21 '12, 03:36 AM

Originally posted by Ibrahim S:
I'm leaning towards being somewhat vague and looking to get paid for my time and hard work. I'm a very charitable person but usually more so with regular citizens, family and charitable organizations.

With business professionals who are accustomed to paying for resources (information included) to make their business grow.......they have to pay.

I totally agree. I always like to be helpful and give free advice, but if you have a great idea that you worked on, you should capitalize on it. Having friends and helping them out is one thing, but you should keep your intellectual property for yourself.

Bill Gulley

Real Estate Investor from Springfield, Missouri

Nov 21 '12, 07:42 AM

Having a good idea and having a marketable idea are two different things. If I get stuck on an idea I don't let it go until I solve it, doesn't mean it's research and development. What is the value of a sleepless hour? Can you really put that or your persistance out as a professional venture?

If there is equipment involved, some gizzmo, put it in a box with connections, whatever, and lease it, don't sell it. Follow the cable tv box model. Maybe on a per pic/hour basis with the material going through you, otherwise maybe a flat monthly rental.

If you have a good idea, sandbag, never give out 100%, that keeps you in the loop.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums