BiggerPockets

Why did my agent show up to a BPO with no sold comps, no documentation, no nothing?

10 posts by 6 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Michael G.

Wholesaler from Bay Shore, New York

Apr 02 '11, 02:29 PM

I am fit to be tied. My agent tells me a BPO is scheduled for last Thurs. I ask her if she has the comps I sent her showing the exact same type of house on the next block sold for 13K less that what we listed. She said the appraisers got all the comps they need already and that they know the area. What! I always thought when agents meet the BPO agent at the property they bring something, anything that would help bring the price in where it should be. I talked to another agent who said they ALWAYS go to a BPO with comps. WTF? Am I missing something?

Dale Osborn

Mobile Home Investor from Spanaway, Washington

Apr 02 '11, 02:55 PM

Yime to shop for a new agent! Finding one that can do what you want will be hard to do. Good Luck!

Michael G.

Apr 02 '11, 03:22 PM

What about you Realtyman? What do you do when you go to a BPO. Do you show up with empty hands?

Stan Jackson

Real Estate Broker from Fort Pierce, Florida

Apr 02 '11, 10:52 PM
1 vote

CB,

Ask your realtor if they know the rules of Home Valuation Code of Conduct (HVCC). This may be where the problem is.

Some agent either don't know the rules or do not clearly understand what is and what isn't permissible under the HVCC rule.

The one rule of coercion is the one that some agents do not have a clear understanding. Basically, an agent cannot provide specific comps for an appraiser to use in the report. However, an agent can provide multiple comps to bring to the appraisers' attention of their availability.

It is no more than saying to the appraiser, " I know you may find other comps, but I want you to be aware that these comps are available".

Often, appraisers and realtors ( when asked to complete an appraisal or bpo) are selected from other parts of the state and may not know the particulars that make up a neighborhood.

Suggesting other comps for the appraiser to choose from does conflict with HVCC.

J Scott Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Ellicott City, Maryland

Apr 02 '11, 11:11 PM

I assume when you say BPO you mean appraisal in this context? If so, then yes, you and/or your agent should show up with comps, and if you're the seller, probably a whole lot more.

This is another reason to get your own license... :)

Medium_lishproplogoJ Scott, Lish Properties, LLC
E-Mail: [email protected]
CHECK OUT MY BIGGERPOCKETS BOOKS: http://www.biggerpockets.com/flippingbook

Bill Patterson

Real Estate Investor from Portage, Michigan

Apr 03 '11, 03:45 AM

We also have our agents provide the BPO agent with comps that support our listing and offer price as well as needed repairs with written estimates of cost. If there is anything else (such as a large employer closing a manufacturing plant) that may make a difference in value for the subject property verses the other comps, they provide that information, too. Realtyman and Stan are correct.....get a new agent that understands what can be done without violating HVCC and that wants to earn their keep!
Bill

Stan Jackson

Real Estate Broker from Fort Pierce, Florida

Apr 03 '11, 04:22 AM

Originally posted by Stan Jackson:
CB,

Suggesting other comps for the appraiser to choose from does NOT conflict with HVCC.

Zach Sikes

Real Estate Agent from Edmond, Oklahoma

Apr 11 '11, 05:35 AM

It shouldn't be that hard to bring comps. Your agent should have them already because you used them to price your home!

Medium_imageZach Sikes, The Sikes Real Estate Team
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 405-509-0541
We don't list homes, we SELL homes. The Sikes Team at Keller Williams www.edmondandokc.com

Michael G.

Apr 11 '11, 06:12 AM

Duhhh - Ya think! I'm trying to find a nice way to tell her to bring comps and a repair estimate next time.

She's got one more of my deals that will need a BPO performed.

Bill Patterson

Real Estate Investor from Portage, Michigan

Apr 11 '11, 09:12 AM
2 votes

Originally posted by cashboy2010:
Duhhh - Ya think! I'm trying to find a nice way to tell her to bring comps and a repair estimate next time.

She's got one more of my deals that will need a BPO performed.

I wouldn't worry too much about being "nice". She is working for you and if your requirements are that she bring comps supporting your offer and repair estimates to the BPO agent she should do it. If not, I'd find a new agent.
Bill

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums