Skip to content
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Todd Whiddon
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
New Construction - Vacant Lot to Showstopping Success!

Todd Whiddon
  • Residential Real Estate Agent
  • Atlanta, GA
Posted Jun 30 2015, 04:39

Here's another project we are just wrapping up and it involved so many "Firsts" for me I figured I'd share.  Most of the new construction I've done in and around Atlanta has been Infill teardown which didn't involve much site development.  This project was the COMPLETE opposite, a veritable SHERWOOD FOREST  on the side of a CLIFF! 

I'll detail out some of the build over a couple posts, but here is a sneak peak of the finished project.

Since I didn't have much experience in land development, AND I couldn't really get a good feel for the lay of the land because of all the trees...I only budgeted 5k for extra dirt to make the lot "buildable", well over 130 TRUCK LOADS of dirt and 27k later did I finally end up with a lot fit for a house!

Bringing in the extra dirt to raise the lot also required a Soil Engineer to be ONSITE for several days to test the compaction of the soil as we lifted the site, and also some additional heavy machinery that we don't normally run across...like a "Vibratory Sheeps Foot" which kinda sounds like something you would find at one of those trucker stores...

After a hundred and twenty something loads of dirt, we were close...but not quite close enough, so we decided to stop bringing in dirt for the moment, and incorporate a SUBWALL into our foundation so that we could bring in dirt only for where out house sat and stop "bringing up" the whole lot.

With the "development" portion almost done, it's time to go vertical!

Loading replies...