Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
Everyone is always asking what is best area to invest in . Long term, I have the answer for all to see. How do I scan and send a photo? Thanks. Non-techie Rich in FL.
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
16y
The "how to scan" part will depend on the type of scanner you have, and whether it came with any software to help simplify the process. My scanner actually came with two different pieces of software that can be used - but that will vary by brand and model.
Usually, the scanner will save into some type of image file; frequently that will be "tif" ot "tiff". If you are trying to post to the BP site, it seems that only "jpg" or "jpeg" file types are accepted, so you'll have to load the scanned image file into some piece of software that can save it into JPEG format (try MS Paint, or download a free software called IrfanView). Digital cameras typically save in the JPEG format, so usually there is no need for conversion of camera files.
Once you have a file that is saved in JPEG format, you can try the upload to BP part of the process. From the dashboard page, you will find a link on the left that says "My photos"; click on that link. Then pick "Add a new gallery". The "New Gallery" page appears with a number of things to fill out. After you fill that out and hit "create", you can then upload a photo to that gallery. Select the appropriate gallery from your "My photos" page, and that gallery page will have a link called "upload to this gallery". That is where you get to name the photo and then browse to the place on your computer where you have the file stored.
It's been a while since I did an upload there, but I recall having trouble getting the "browse to photo" part to work. So I ended up doing a copy of the file path in my Windows Explorer (file explorer, not internet explorer), and then I did a paste into the text area for the file name as a workaround. This may have been fixed already.
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
16y
The "how to scan" part will depend on the type of scanner you have, and whether it came with any software to help simplify the process. My scanner actually came with two different pieces of software that can be used - but that will vary by brand and model.
Usually, the scanner will save into some type of image file; frequently that will be "tif" ot "tiff". If you are trying to post to the BP site, it seems that only "jpg" or "jpeg" file types are accepted, so you'll have to load the scanned image file into some piece of software that can save it into JPEG format (try MS Paint, or download a free software called IrfanView). Digital cameras typically save in the JPEG format, so usually there is no need for conversion of camera files.
Once you have a file that is saved in JPEG format, you can try the upload to BP part of the process. From the dashboard page, you will find a link on the left that says "My photos"; click on that link. Then pick "Add a new gallery". The "New Gallery" page appears with a number of things to fill out. After you fill that out and hit "create", you can then upload a photo to that gallery. Select the appropriate gallery from your "My photos" page, and that gallery page will have a link called "upload to this gallery". That is where you get to name the photo and then browse to the place on your computer where you have the file stored.
It's been a while since I did an upload there, but I recall having trouble getting the "browse to photo" part to work. So I ended up doing a copy of the file path in my Windows Explorer (file explorer, not internet explorer), and then I did a paste into the text area for the file name as a workaround. This may have been fixed already.
Take out the spaces inside the square brackets and it will format as a link.
Now, if you do a right mouse button on that picture, then select "copy image location", a link to the picture will be stuffed onto the clipboard. It will look something like:
The img formatter is similar to the url example above, but with "img" instead of "url". The string I pasted above is not quite right. You have to delete the question mark and the numbers at the end. So, here it is with extra spaces so you can see:
Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
16y
Thanks Steve and Jon. I had to ask this info once before. I'll print and save your replies for next time. If I can just remember where I put what I saved!! Rich
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
16y
Rich,
You can just check the box near the top of a post to add it to your "monitored topics". To access your monitored topics, you go to your dashboard, and you can access in one of two ways.
By going to the section that reads "My Saved Stuff", where you'll see "saved articles" and "watched forum threads" - click on the "watched forum threads". Or, by going to the grey-colored bar, and hovering the mouse over the word "Forum" on that bar; you'll get a menu and one of the menu choices is "Monitored Topics".
You can use the "Monitored Topics" almost like bookmarks / favorites in the browser if you think about it this way.