BiggerPockets

20% down

Forum Powered By:

8 posts by 6 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Ed Nunno

Residential Real Estate Agent from Staten Island, New York

Dec 30 '12, 07:39 PM

i know its not the ideal situation but is it possible to put 20% down on a credit card ? im not talking about a 200k house, maybe just a 35k-50k house.

Bryan Hancock

Real Estate Investor from Round Rock, Texas

Dec 30 '12, 09:00 PM

As long as you can disclose it to the other lender....yes.

If you are trying to get around disclosing it for some reason it is probably loan fraud. For certain loan types the lender will care and for others they won't.

The loan constants for credit cards are outrageous. You'd probably be better off seeking other financing.

Medium_inner10_logo__updated_Bryan Hancock, Inner 10 Capital
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 1-800-577-0401
Our Recent Austin Business Journal Article - http://tinyurl.com/Inner10Capital

Ed Nunno

Residential Real Estate Agent from Staten Island, New York

Dec 30 '12, 09:09 PM

absolutely not looking to hide anything, was just wondering if its possible.

Bryan Hancock

Real Estate Investor from Round Rock, Texas

Dec 30 '12, 09:32 PM

If you do some Google searches there are actually pretty clever little games people play with zero percent balance transfers to put "free" money to work using credit cards. Learning to game the system and keep the plates spinning isn't really free to me, but there are many financial bloggers that go into excruciating detail about this sort of thing.

This money could presumably be used as equity in a loan as long as it was disclosed. Cash advances with cards would be subject to interest, but you can use those too.

You may consider finding a bank that will allow you to do a signature loan. Most banks cap these at $50k without sufficient collateral. That would get you pretty close to what you're looking to borrow; albeit at presumably higher rates than using conventional financing. If your project duration is short the hassle and transaction fee tradeoff may be worth it though.

Medium_inner10_logo__updated_Bryan Hancock, Inner 10 Capital
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 1-800-577-0401
Our Recent Austin Business Journal Article - http://tinyurl.com/Inner10Capital

Callum K.

SFR Investor from Tulsa, Oklahoma

Dec 30 '12, 11:03 PM

If you go the cash advance route, keep in mind that almost all cash advances charge you a specific rate the minute you make the transaction, plus it does not remove the interest on the balance on the card until the entire card is paid off (including any non-cash advance balances).

Andrew T.

Real Estate Investor from Kansas City, Missouri

Dec 31 '12, 06:01 AM

I have done this once to help show better reserves (0 interest balance transfer check to my account). However, you have to be careful as you will then have a higher card balance. If you using conventional they may see this when they check the credit report one last time before closing. Be careful.

Russell Monson

Multi-family Investor from Lehi, Utah

Dec 31 '12, 12:56 PM

If you're looking for conventional financing, the cash can't come directly from a credit card. You can, however, spend up a credit card so that you have no other cash expenses and use the cash you've saved up from other qualifying sources such as your income as a down-payment. I've done this twice on super low rate cards I have and it has worked out well.

Jason Kosowan

SFR Investor from Hayward, California

Jan 02 '13, 11:09 AM

Putting the initial 20% on a credit card is a new one to me

Not sure how relevant this is, but I've used zero-percent credit card deals to finance materials, appliances, etc. for rentals in the past. It keeps my reserves healthy, but you have to make sure to pay it off before the retroactive interest kicks in.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums