BiggerPockets

Portfolio HELOC?

Forum Powered By:

8 posts by 7 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Chris Licavoli

Real Estate Investor from Savannah, Georgia

Feb 12 '13, 04:09 AM

Does anyone have experience obtaining Home Equity loans accross a portfolio of rental properties? Do lenders do this? Let me be clear, I am not asking information on a lender becuase they will delete me. I am justing generically what type of lenders do this this and how does it work...do they place liens against all properties involved?

Thanks

Mike H.

Real Estate Investor from Manteno, Illinois

Feb 12 '13, 09:23 AM

Local banks might be willing to do this. I had a local bank that I came "this" close to doing exactly what you described above. And, believe it or not, it wasn't even my idea - it was the banker's.

I was really just wanting to see if they'd refi one sfh into a commercial loan since I'm running near my conventional limit and wanted to save those spots.

Instead, he wanted to do a blanket loan on a bunch of my existing properties and use the extra equity (above the 70%) to create a LOC that could be used to purchase additional properties. And after I bought it and fixed it up, they were going to refi those into the blanket again to free up my LOC.

It sounded too good to be true. But he ran it by his VP and everything looked good. They ran all the numbers, had all the documentation and got an initial approval from underwriting.

Then when it went for final approval with the bank's lending committee, there was one VP that shot it down. Said the bank just got thru clearing off the last of their bad investor loans and he didn't want them to get back into this vertical right now.

So, yes, it is definitely possible. But you have to find a local bank or some other type of commercial lender with a progressive view of real estate investors. The LOC might be an issue. But at the very least, you should be able to pull some cash out if you can find a bank willing to do a blanket loan on your properties AND if you have some additional equity to pull out of them on top of the traditional 70% LTV.

Paul Cordero

Scottsdale, Arizona

Feb 12 '13, 11:18 AM

Try business banking, or a commercial LOC with whoever you currently have a banking relationship with.

This post has been removed.

Chris Licavoli

Real Estate Investor from Savannah, Georgia

Feb 12 '13, 07:19 PM

Thanks for the replies. The portfolio consists of 8 properties...4 with mortgages, 4 free and clear. The ones with mortgages have long term fixed rate "gubument" backed loans. These are precious to me and I dont want to give them up for a more expensive commerical loan unless I am up against the 10 loan limit and I am not there yet.

Dennis Tierney

Commercial Landlord from Omaha, Nebraska

Feb 13 '13, 07:55 AM

@Chris Licavoli I don't have personal expeirence but do know a local SFR investor who does have a busines LOC just like @Paul Cordero suggested. I would think you could get a LOC based on the properties that are free and clear from a local bank. I also would not lose those loans you have at a great rate.

Trevor Rutherford

Dayton, Ohio

Feb 19, 08:37 AM

@Dennis Tierney I have 3 rental properties sitting free and clear. Tried to get HELOC on one to consolidate debt. Bank turned me down do to, "income to debt ratio." high ccard debt. how can I get from one end to the other to consolidate debt. Right now, I am drowning in 20% interest.

(Don't Want to See This? Log in or Create a Free BiggerPockets.com Account!)

Ubg-book

Get the Free eBook from BiggerPockets

Get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks, and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable Advice for Getting Started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more!

We hate spam just as much as you

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums