Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
General Landlording & Rental Properties
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Shaun C.
  • Royal Oak, MI
Votes |
First round of Lease Revisions after First Eviction

Shaun C.
  • Royal Oak, MI
Posted

I purchased a 2 unit duplex (2 bed, 1 bath each) last October. Previous to my purchase/upgrades, rents were $650/$750 split top and bottom including utilities, they are now $905/(N/A). Completed many renovations in the top unit while living below, and started renting to two younger girls (23,27) in January. Attitude problems with one of the girls started after only three weeks, the other is fine. I have warned them numerous times about being loud late at night, (2,3,4 am), playing loud music, even called the police once to tell them to quiet down.

Last Sunday, the problem girl had friends over, screaming, loud music until 11 pm. I've reached my breaking point. I would have started the eviction process on Monday, but I wanted to wait until I got rent from them for September.

I am going to wait until their check clears next Thursday to sit them down and offer to pay for a moving truck for them to leave at the end of September. It will either be that, or eviction as they were smoking weed upstairs, which I honestly don't care about, but if I can use it as a way to get them out, I'll do it; I've given them numerous warnings about them being loud and enough is enough. I also just paid a $260 main drain line cleanout because they were flushing things down the toilet that don't belong there, which I don't really mind since I hadn't done it since owning the home. Not a motivating factor of mine, but rents are also up in the area, and I think I could get $1000/month when they are out.

ANYWAY, after my first attempt at landlording, I've got a set of revisions/additions that I'd like to stick in the next lease. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated before I send it over to my lawyer for a final draft.

The home is in a suburb of Detroit, has one set of mechanicals, and one set of meters. I'm trying to limit my exposure to insanely high utilities by putting limits for what I'm willing to pay. I'm not sure how this will be received by perspective tenants. I'm also writing in things for the bottom unit tenant who I see as my "property manager" for once I move out next spring when all upgrades are completed.  I can try and see about linking to my current lease as well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EBnT_CjvAWRW6W...

Thanks everyone,

Shaun

Loading replies...