Votes
Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Dryer fire hazard?

Bienes Raices
  • Orlando, FL
Posted Jul 9 2011, 13:29

One of my houses has washer/dryer hookups in the garage. There is a hole in the wall where the dryer tube, etc. is supposed to vent to the outside. Unfortunately, the way the house was built, the AC condensor is right in front of that hole, so the dryer vents right into the AC condensor when the tenant is drying clothes.

I was told by a couple people that I can't leave it this way because it will damage the condensor over time. They told me to divert the air flow.

I bought another dryer vent tube and one of those door flap devices (don't know what they are called) and connected it to the vent hole outside the house, so that it blows the exhaust three feet further from the AC condensor. The tube is propped up on cinder blocks. So it travels from a tube inside the garage (connected to dryer) and then another tube once it's outside the house.

However, now I'm wondering if this could be a fire hazard (having too long a tube, and it gets backed up with lint? ). Do I need to put it back to the way it was?

I know that dryer fires are extremely dangerous and I don't want to create a hazardous situation. I don't know if having such a long tube through which the exhaust needs to travel creates a hazard or not. Thanks.

Loading replies...