Flood Insurance?

Forum Powered By:

12 posts by 10 users

Naga A.

Real Estate Investor from Atlanta, Georgia

Dec 20 '12, 07:18 PM

I wonder if you buy a separate flood insurace for your rental properties. I have rental properties in Tampa, Atlanta and Las Vegas. I do not worry about Las Vegas, but flood is a threat to my houses in Atlanta and Tampa.

My property insurance excludes any damages caused by flood, which I think is typical.

So, do you guys buy separate flood insurance for your rentals? If so, how much you pay and any recommendation for insurance company?

Brandon Turner Verified Video

Real Estate Investor from Montesano, Washington

Dec 20 '12, 08:47 PM

I buy flood insurance if the lender requires it. Most of my properties are located in a federal flood plain, so they do require it. It's not cheap ($900 a year, or so) and you have to buy a separate policy for each house.

Medium_bp-squareBrandon Turner, BiggerPockets
E-Mail: [email protected]
Investor VP of Growth Author of The Book on Investing with No (and Low) Money

Joe B.

Real Estate Investor from El Dorado Hills, California

Dec 20 '12, 10:06 PM
2 votes

All flood insurance is backed by the NFIP, the carriers just service the policies. The rates are all the same based on the floodzone and elevation. Buy it from the same agent that provides the landlord insurance. It is inexpensive if you are not in a flood zone. 30%+ of all flood claims are from water/sewer back ups that are generally not covered on landlord policies.

Marc Bodinger

from New York City, New York

Dec 21 '12, 07:06 AM

Not sure what the laws are like in the states of concern to you but as someone from the NY metro area, get the flood insurance. I have never seen so much damage due to flooding in my life. One coworker of mine told me they had it for years and years and it was a complete waste of money and luckily they had it for this one.

Naga A.

Real Estate Investor from Atlanta, Georgia

Dec 21 '12, 08:07 AM

I wonder how many landlords have flood insurance for their rentals. $900 a year for each house is not cheap at all.

Marc Bodinger

from New York City, New York

Dec 21 '12, 08:22 AM

Well I doubt landlords would have those policies unless their properties were near or in flood zones. I think going forward flood zones should be edited based on the frequency and impact of these mega storms have had in recent years.

Bienes Raices

from Orlando, Florida

Dec 21 '12, 09:44 AM

I don't have it because all of my houses are in Zone X (low to moderate). I'm taking a bit of a risk, I know. The problem would be if a tropical storm stalled over this area and created rising waters.

Ron Robin

Real Estate Investor from Marrero, Louisiana

Dec 25 '12, 05:39 PM
1 vote
This is fema flood zone map,
All flood Insurance is Federal.
My properties are all south of New Orleans (yes there is something south of New Orleans other then swamp.) One property is in flood zone X and I pay about $200 dollars a year. The others are in AE and I pay about 1200 a year each.

Wes Eaves

Real Estate Investor from Brandon, Florida

Aug 16 '13, 09:13 PM

One of my rentals is in South Tampa but not a mandatory flood zone. Although we haven't had a direct hit from a hurricane since I've been here, we've had some pretty bad storms. I had flood insurance on this rental for a couple of years but cancelled it...yes it's a risk, but so is investing :)

Cuong Le Verified Donor

Real Estate Investor from Houston, Texas

Oct 08 '13, 10:55 AM

If you are in a flood zone, check to see if the required flood policy will work with your numbers before you close on the property. Otherwise, we don't get it.

We do tile and same paint in all of our properties so if there is water damage, we could use what we would have paid toward the elective flood premium toward sheet rock, carpet and paint which are all inexpensive.

If you set aside repair/maintenance fund from your cash flow (which you should anyways), that will help offset the costs as well. It really depends on your risk tolerance and whether it makes sense for your area.

Updated: 01:34PM, 10/12/2013

Update: Just want to be clear that if the required policy doesn't work for the deal, don't get the property. Also, keep in mind that if the policy is too expensive, it maybe hard to sell to owner occupants down the line. If the policy is not required,

Edited Oct 12 2013, 13:34

Cuong Le, Keller Williams Realty Metropolitan
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 713.621.8001

Lynn M.

SFR Investor from Chesapeake, Virginia

Oct 08 '13, 11:15 AM

I only pay for flood insurance on the one rental I have in a flood zone (AE) as it is required for the mortgage. The one corner of the structure actually located in the flood zone is a 7' high crawlspace, not used for anything, (although tenants store lawn chairs in there over the winter). The new Biggert-Waters Flood Reform Act is already causing problems in certain areas -- hopefully not mine -- but I have already stopped looking in one of my favorite neighborhoods for my next purchase as it will definitely be affected, and I do not want any risk of huge increases in flood insurance premiums.

David A.

SFR Investor from Friendswood, Texas

Oct 08 '13, 11:24 AM

I do or homes even not in flood zone area but all my homes are south houston. So chance of tropical storm or flood is very to me paying for the policy is well worth it. Even if not required

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums