BiggerPockets

Do you require visting a prospective tenant's residence?

Forum Powered By:

8 posts by 6 users

To participate in forum discussions, create a free account or login.

Scott W.

Illinois

Dec 21 '12, 09:08 AM

I have read to do this - that way, you can avoid the hoarders, dogs who chew up the place (if you accept pets), tenants who are overly messy, too hard on the unit.

The other side of the equation is they may think you're asking too much & move on to rent from the competition.

What do you do?

Jon Klaus Verified Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Dec 21 '12, 09:11 AM

I do a drive by if they are local. If they are on the bubble, I try to visit them at their house, but this is rare.

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

Brandon Turner Verified

Real Estate Investor from Montesano, Washington

Dec 21 '12, 09:55 AM

I've read the same -that this is a good idea. Especially when you stop by un-announced :) However, I rarely do this. I might drive by, if I'm in the neighborhood. Usually not, though. Though with the recent glut of crappy tenants I've been dealing with - perhaps I should start

Steve Babiak

Real Estate Investor from Audubon, Pennsylvania

Dec 21 '12, 12:36 PM

I do so as much as is practical. For example, had some people who were relocating from FL - I'm not going to travel that far to check. But if they are within 30 to 45 minutes drive, I want to see. The saying is: They will take care of your rental the same as they are taking care of where they now rent.

I try to actually pick up completed applications from them in the house where they now live - nobody has said no who was seriously interested. One actually commented that they had received similar requests from a number of landlords in a row! I offered the above saying as the basic explanation to get them to understand. Did not get an application from that one ...

Now you do have to be mindful of distinguishing deferred maintenance issues (peeling paint on woodwork / walls) from neglect / abuse / carelessness / failure to keep tidy and clean.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

Rob K

Real Estate Investor from Michigan

Dec 21 '12, 12:48 PM
2 votes

I read a book on landlording and the guy said he would go to the house unannounced. When he walked in, he would ask himself two questions:

1. If this lady made me a sandwich right now, would I eat it?
2. Would I want to clean up this house after they move out?

If the answer to both was yes, he approved them.

Jon Klaus Verified Moderator Donor

Real Estate Investor from Garland, Texas

Dec 21 '12, 12:54 PM

Originally posted by Rob K:
I read a book on landlording and the guy said he would go to the house unannounced. When he walked in, he would ask himself two questions:

1. If this lady made me a sandwich right now, would I eat it?
2. Would I want to clean up this house after they move out?

If the answer to both was yes, he approved them.

This would have saved me a lot of money and aggravation if I had asked myself these questions in the past. No, no, NOOOO!

Jon Klaus, SellPropertyFast
E-Mail: [email protected]
Telephone: 214-929-6545

David B.

Real Estate Investor from Chicago, Illinois

Dec 21 '12, 09:48 PM

I almost always visit perspective tenants homes. It gives some insight on them and how your rental property may look in due time, announced arrival or not. I don't like being completely oblivious as to what type of personality is borrowing my expensive asset.

Steve Babiak

Real Estate Investor from Audubon, Pennsylvania

Dec 23 '12, 09:22 AM

There is another topic going on now about pets in a rental. If the tenant has pets, you definitely want to make sure you do a visit to where they are at before accepting them. You will be able to see whether they care for the pet properly, and you'll be able to smell what your place will smell like if you were to accept them. Just to add another point to what is already in this thread.

Steve Babiak, Redeeming Properties, LLC
Telephone: 6109082183

To post a reply or start a new discussion, create a free account or login.

Manage Keyword Alerts

View All Forums